the absolute importance of wearing a seatbelt

Currently reading:
the absolute importance of wearing a seatbelt

I have personal experiance when a tit pulled stright out in front of us wilst the wife was driving there was just nothing she could have done to avoid it

The four of us were belted up it was a very big impact airbags deployed the works car was totaled but the four us just walked away a but sore but other than that fine.

I will not move the car regardless of who is in the car unless they have there seatbelt fastened!!

:( this kinda stuff really brings the reality of the matter home tbh, a friend of mine never wears his seatbelt and has a celica with quite alot done and makes the most of it shall we say, his reasoning for not wearing seatbelt is he'd rather die than be disabled (n) :(

Luckly I don't have to deal with this sort of thing day by day. I don't think I could cope. I hear some of the things Bunny has to put up with - children who have suffered awful things. I don't think I could bare to see them.

Been in two big crashes, got the bruises from the seatbelt to show just how hard the impact was. I never drive anywhere without the belt on. Even if its just to take the car around the back of the house. You never know what will happen.

the only time i wont wear a belt is if i'm moving the car a matter of meters, otherwise its always on, i have a friend who will sit in the back or front of anyones car and not put it on, as i dont want to die from him crushing me ot breaking my windscreen i use the 'slam on the breaks' trick (y)

i remember as a kid we used to have a porsche 924 and that didnt have rear seatbelts... (n)

Another thing you have to bear in mind is airbags - they are designed to work with a seatbelt, you dont want to hit an airbag without one, might hurt a bit!

Admittidly, when on duty I dont wear mine when driving in town, only have it on when on a blue light run, or fast road (as in faster than 40) since you forget you are wearing one with the stabvest on and never know when around town you will have to literally jump out (which happens quite regularly!)
In own car, all the time!

I always thought everyone wore seatbelts until the hot summer of 1995 when I was amazed at the number of people I could see not wearing them, because the belt stood-out against the background of flesh.

I hate to see kids without their belts on, and I always think the 'adults' in the car should have their faces repeatedly rammed into a brick-wall at 30mph to get the message through; we found out recently that my wifes Aunt and Uncle drive around with their grandaughter (2yrs old) sat on Nannies knee in the front seat. They reconed it was safe because they were only doing short journies; my father-in-law went mental and they have since bought a proper seat.

A few years ago I read somewhere that a study had been done suggesting the average adult can only hold their wn body weight in an impact up to 12mph, after that the arms can't resist the momentum.

I think if an adult doesn't want to buckle up in the back then fair doo's - just refuse to give them a lift.

Likewise, if they don't want to buckle up in the front then that's OK; but they should have a sticker on the window that, instead of saying 'Baby on Board' should say 'Missing Link on Board'. If the emergency services come across such a sticker they shouldn't bother looking inside, just scrape everything onto the back of a low-loader and take the whole shooting match down to the scrappie - just put it down to Natural Selection removing another Oxygen Thief from this planet.

allanhelen said:
I have personal experiance when a tit pulled stright out in front of us wilst the wife was driving there was just nothing she could have done to avoid it

The four of us were belted up it was a very big impact airbags deployed the works car was totaled but the four us just walked away a but sore but other than that fine.

I will not move the car regardless of who is in the car unless they have there seatbelt fastened!!

where abouts in west yorkshire you from? If you're near the leeds area, on the m621 there's a bit of road where an on ramp and offramp meet, and I'm always having to slam on cos some knob in a taxi decides to whip out in front of me, i've had loads of close calls there, as such, never without a seatbelt... touch wood, i've not crashed yet.

Along a similar line, can any of you boys in blue answer a couple of questions for me?
1./ Isnt it illegal for a child under 14yrs to ride in the front seat? If so why isnt ANYBODY ever done for it?( to my knowledge):bang:
2./ I was informed recently that the maximum penalty for driving a vehicle without an MOT(still insured &taxed) is a £15 fine? If so thats a joke,:bang: as i would have thought the MOT was the most important as it states that your vehicle met the minimum std within the past 12 months.
I once had a mate who died 5yr ago through not wearing his belt(23yrs old). He ended up in somebodies front lawn with his head facing the wrong way, He left a young daughter of 3.His girlfriend also died, also not wearing a belt.:(
I went down on the morning to place some flowers there, and although the area had been cleaned up by the police and fire service there was still some gruesome areas which had been missed which nauseated me:yuck: . I just dont know how you emergency services guys do it and i have the utmost admiration for all of you:worship: :worship: .As usual though, the boys in blue are only remembered or mentioned for the bad things by a few rotten apples(n) . Keep up the good work guys(y) and remember people next time you see an accident " There, but for the grace of god, go i":worship:

MATT 68 said:
Along a similar line, can any of you boys in blue answer a couple of questions for me?
1./ Isnt it illegal for a child under 14yrs to ride in the front seat? If so why isnt ANYBODY ever done for it?( to my knowledge):bang:

Drivers and front seat passengers in cars must wear a seat belt, unless they have a medical exemption certificate.
Children under the age of 14, travelling in the rear of a car that has appropriate restraints, must belt up.
Adults travelling in the rear of a car must also use seat belts, if they are fitted. It is the responsibility of the adult passenger (not the driver) to ensure that they are using the seat belt.

summerised very well here: http://www.thinkroadsafety.gov.uk/advice/seatbelts.htm

and yes i ticket for it!

MATT 68 said:
2./ I was informed recently that the maximum penalty for driving a vehicle without an MOT(still insured &taxed) is a £15 fine?

max fine, as outlined below is £1000, however that is decided at magistrates court, the other thing to bear in mind though is that your insurance may well be invalid as a result, which is another offence

http://www.freelawyer.co.uk/vlawyer/actfile.asp?seq=3&subject1=4&subject2=7

turboned said:
Drivers and front seat passengers in cars must wear a seat belt, unless they have a medical exemption certificate.
Children under the age of 14, travelling in the rear of a car that has appropriate restraints, must belt up.
Adults travelling in the rear of a car must also use seat belts, if they are fitted. It is the responsibility of the adult passenger (not the driver) to ensure that they are using the seat belt.

summerised very well here: http://www.thinkroadsafety.gov.uk/advice/seatbelts.htm

and yes i ticket for it!

max fine, as outlined below is £1000, however that is decided at magistrates court, the other thing to bear in mind though is that your insurance may well be invalid as a result, which is another offence

http://www.freelawyer.co.uk/vlawyer/actfile.asp?seq=3&subject1=4&subject2=7

Would you please answer the first part of the question put to you as I would like that part clarified ARE children under the age of 14 disqualified from sitting in the front seat of a motor vehicle :)

MATT said:
No, that isn't illegal.

I should hope it wasn't, because Jules sometimes has 6 kids in the Ulysse; the eldest, 9 I think, sometimes travels in the front.

Last edited:
Stuart DemonD said:
No, that isn't illegal.

More info here: http://www.thinkroadsafety.gov.uk/advice/seatbelts.htm

I should hope it wasn't, because Jules sometimes has 6 kids in the Ulysse; the eldest, 9 I think, sometimes travels in the front.

Yes Stu and that is why I asked for the question to be clarified because I often carry the grandchildren in mine and the wife's people carrier :)

Well what can I say, you poor man, it's bad enough seeing images on the net of these accidents but to have to deal with them first hand (n)
Thank god there are people like you around though, total admiration for anyone who can deal with those things and if a bit of swearing on here goes some way to getting it out of your system then so be it.

How bad are the girls parents going to feel about this eh (presuming it was a parent driving), they now have to live with what has happened, they can never take it back.

Stuart DemonD said:
No, that isn't illegal.

How many seats does the Ulysse have stu:confused: ? and does your insurance cover 6 passengers:confused: ? Just askin out of curiousity.:)

MATT 68 said:
How many seats does the Ulysse have stu:confused: ? and does your insurance cover 6 passengers:confused: ? Just askin out of curiousity.:)
It has 7 seats - that is standard on the Eleganza; the Prestigio has 6 Captains' Chairs, plus you can get a rear bench seat to make it an 8 seater if needed.

I would imagine the insurance for it would cover everyone in it, as designed for - not something I have even asked for them to clarify, because never even thought of that as an issue.

Me and Jules also have Class 2 business insurance on both cars as well, just in case ;)

Back