Technical That effing car!

Currently reading:
Technical That effing car!

so, one changed battery: £54.90
one replaced fuel filter: £15.62
trip to Stanford: £50
finding out your problem was all the fault of s**t Morrisons petrol....Priceless!

How silly do i feel[V]

Sie
Black 96P Cinq Sporting
OMP Strut Brace, Apex -40mm kit, GSR F1i Induction, Pioneer ICE
routebanner.gif

So it was definately the petrol?

Odd.

Tom (AofB)

95 Cinq Sporting - Rattly GrpN Catback Exhaust, <font color="black">Buckets</font id="black"> and 3pt Harnesses,Sexy VW styleé dials (that look great, but dont work!! :)D)), 10" Sub and 6x9's, ETech Wing. Lots of Dirt!
1242cc Engine to go in soon, boot delock soon, K+N still in garage!

fingers crossed! I did fix the flapping fuse board at the same time as filling up with Q8 fuel. could have been that!

Sie
Black 96P Cinq Sporting
routebanner.gif

the flaps will be back[8D]
maybe slightly less huge though...still deciding. They are iconic though:(

Sie
Black 96P Cinq Sporting
routebanner.gif

Yeah looking at the Lancia Stratos at Stanford they had huge flaps. But to prevent them getting ripped off like yours did they had a chain that hung down from the bumper. Much like the zip-tie method i presume.

GeX
"Women are hurt by the smallest things, like papercuts and... childbirth!"

Your problem is the alternator.

If you put your battery on a multimeter, you will see that with the engine running, it'll have 15volts output - and at 15 volts, your infact boiling the water in the battery.

Your alternator is spiking, and if left, will simply boil your new battery, and any other batteries you buy. You can have alternators refurbished for as little as £40.

Its exactly the problem i had. After all you have spent, a £10 multimeter could have solved it within 2 secs. Pays to have the right tools :)

Honda CRX '93 DelSol Alpine/Vibe ICE | Fox Racing Alloys | Momo Race Steering Wheel | Momo Airmetal Gearknob | Cobra Cat1

Yeah...That sounds about right, I thought the 14.68v Reading across the battery seemed a bit high, given 13.8v is the usual charge voltage!

Tom (AofB)

95 Cinq Sporting - Rattly GrpN Catback Exhaust, <font color="black">Buckets</font id="black"> and 3pt Harnesses,Sexy VW styleé dials (that look great, but dont work!! :)D)), 10" Sub and 6x9's, ETech Wing. Lots of Dirt!

we tested it at Stanford. was reading about 14.6 average. I'm gonna try to get an alternator off a scrappy. might score one for £20:D can give that a try

Sie
Black 96P Cinq Sporting
routebanner.gif

Originally posted by mckrob
.................... After all you have spent, a £10 multimeter could have solved it within 2 secs. Pays to have the right tools :)..
Deal of the year seems to be Maplin Electronics (if there's one near you) who are selling an unbelievably cheap multimeter (in bright yellow) for an amazing £2.95 including battery. I can't even buy the battery for that. One of the best buys you'll see, especially as it makes checking your electrics a piece of cake.

Tosh

**Men don't stop playing because they grow old; they grow old because they stop playing.**

it's not slipping anymore, i tightened it last week. But I think it could still be under a lot of pressure

edit: where is the regulator and how do i replace it?

Sie
Black 96P Cinq Sporting
routebanner.gif

Ooh ooh.. Sie, get the results up... I ned to check my voltages as my thing gets very agitated when the fan comes on (revs drop like buggery!)

If its the reg' how much we talking? where can the parts be obtained from, is it a 'leccytrician job?

Would that also explain why my exhaust rattles when the alternator is under load at idle, as the stress is transferred elsewhere causing excessive movement in the 'zorst?

Tom (AofB)

I wasn't watching the voltmeter through all the different stages. Matt, who was checking the readings, said it averaged at 14.6 all the way through the fan coming on and switching on headlights and stereo. When I gave it some throttle it went upto about 14.7, I believe.

Sie
Black 96P Cinq Sporting
routebanner.gif

Originally posted by arseofbox
Would that also explain why my exhaust rattles when the alternator is under load at idle, as the stress is transferred elsewhere causing excessive movement in the 'zorst?
Very probably. A friend of mine many years ago had a Hillman Imp Sport and spent many hours trying to find out why the tickover dropped when he put his foot on the brakes. He checked and rechecked absolutely everything at the pedal end because he thought the pedals were interfering with each other, until I pointed out that as he only had a dynamo charging the system the extra power needed by the brake lights was causing drag on the fan belt.

The look of disbelief on his face was priceless, until he fitted an alternator and the problem went away.

Tosh

PS. Pete: Excellent choice of Multimeter.

**Men don't stop playing because they grow old; they grow old because they stop playing.**

Nice one! Cheers. Ill try that some point

Tom (AofB)

I had a similar problem on my Y10 - the car would cut out randomly. There would be good days and bad days.

I discovered that it was caused by an amplifier module attached to the distributor - I replaced this and all was well.

I am not familar with the electonic ignition on your car but I would suggest that it might be whatever electrics make up the 'distributor.' The module was small with a little finned heatsink on it.

I am not sure this helps but I thought I would mention it.

regards,

Martin

Fix It Again Tony!

Back