Technical That effing car!

Currently reading:
Technical That effing car!

surfin_fella

Cento Boy
I fitted new battery and it's still f**ked! I'm hoping someone out there has suffered and cured this before.

It keeps cutting out. It starts fine with the new battery but when the car is idling and the fan comes on, the engine dies. Sometimes, when I'm slowing down and I press clutch the revs die followed by the engine. I've changed the alternator belt and recently tightened it. No squealing at all. The fan carries on fine even after the engine has died.
I'm thinking of new HT leads. I'd rather try that before having to fork out for a new alternator.

Any thoughts? I'm really fed up with it now

Sie
Black 96P Cinq Sporting
OMP Strut Brace, Apex -40mm kit, GSR F1i Induction, Pioneer ICE
routebanner.gif

i had a probelm with my uno once. when i was coming to a stop and put clutch in the engine either cut out completly or really stuggled for revs.

I had the lamda sensor checked first and had it changed but still no luck.

I was told in the end that it had something to do with the fueling, mainly caused by my induction kit, i didnt have chance to get it fixed as i wrote the car off the week after i was told.

But your problem sounds like something to do with electronics which i have not got a clue about, if the alternator was looseing charge, u wouldnt be able to start the car up again would u??

gaz_wrexham_sig.jpg

Seicento Sporting, Modified Front Bumper, Saxo Custom Spoiler, Abarth Side Skirts, Bad Boy Bonnet, Afterburner Rear Lenses, 4" Powerflow Exhaust System, Abarth 14" Alloys.
IN THE PIPELINE:
-40mm Drop or Coilovers, New Front Bumper, Rear Splitter, New Mirrors (Not the cup ones[xx(], something different)

Check out my site http://badboygaz.mysite.freeserve.com​
FIATForum stickers available PM me for details or see: https://www.fiatforum.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10000

well this is it! the car starts with no problems at all after it's cut out. Brickfoots said it could be the HT leads. One problem with not having the car long is i don't know how old stuff is!

Sie
Black 96P Cinq Sporting
routebanner.gif

mine did that, it always started up agin no problem.

get some 10k boost on the go and clean the engine out, see if it works or not

gaz_wrexham_sig.jpg

Seicento Sporting, Modified Front Bumper, Saxo Custom Spoiler, Abarth Side Skirts, Bad Boy Bonnet, Afterburner Rear Lenses, 4" Powerflow Exhaust System, Abarth 14" Alloys.
IN THE PIPELINE:
-40mm Drop or Coilovers, New Front Bumper, Rear Splitter, New Mirrors (Not the cup ones[xx(], something different)

FIATForum stickers available PM me for details or see: https://www.fiatforum.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10000

I've been running redex in there for ages. the problem started after i first used that. I'm gonna stay off it for a while....see if that's the problem. can't see why it would be but anything's worth a try!

Sie
Black 96P Cinq Sporting
routebanner.gif

u put redex in with the fuel dont u, 10k boost goes directly into the engine.

i also had the fuel pump changed and that didnt do much either, but there are 2 on the unos and i think there maybe 2 on a cinq/sei.

i no good with engines, but is it the timing that could be slightly advanced to run slightly richer thus maybe stopping the revs struggling

gaz_wrexham_sig.jpg

IN THE PIPELINE:

easier said than done when i have no multi-meter

update: cuts out when just idling now too. fuel feed problem??

Sie
Black 96P Cinq Sporting
routebanner.gif

Originally posted by gaz_wrexham
u put redex in with the fuel dont u, 10k boost goes directly into the engine.

i also had the fuel pump changed and that didnt do much either, but there are 2 on the unos and i think there maybe 2 on a cinq/sei.

i no good with engines, but is it the timing that could be slightly advanced to run slightly richer thus maybe stopping the revs struggling

gaz_wrexham_sig.jpg

IN THE PIPELINE:

Redex can go in the fuel or in the engine. Putting it in the engine can be VERY messy though [V]. I had the stuff launched about 10 foot in the air and all over the driveway. There's still traces of the stuff after 6 months [:(!].

I used to have this problem but only ion the cold. Its fine now though. Intriguing. it did feel like th fuel pump was goin but it seems to be sorted now.

And I think there may be two fuel pumps...would the fact that there are two ignition systems be linked to this...?

When my pa was fitting my LED Tachometer (Stanford) he told me we had two ECU thingys - or something like that.

Whatever, we had two cylinders running off one of the coils and two off the other.

That aint the best way of putting it admittdly, and will probably confuse everyone that reads it, but its my two penneths.

Sam (and Geoff)

You can kiss my flat-ass

they have 2 coils sam because its a wasted spark ignition system,the spark goes down one lead and up the other.
no excuse for not having a multimeter surfin :D

uno 1.0ie RAAAWW!

well, after a convo with fixit earlier, i'm gonna try a new fuel filter tomorrow. if that doesn't fixt it, i'll fix it again tomorrow!:p

Sie
Black 96P Cinq Sporting
routebanner.gif

There's a couple of things you should think about whenever you start having a problem:

a) Have I recently changed ANYTHING at all from when it was working fine? If so, then is it a simple job to change back to that known setup and then run the car in that mode for a while to see if the problem recurs? If not, it's probably not the thing you changed, but it could be affecting something else.

b) Have I recently started doing anything significantly differently? (ie: driving in the mornings/evenings/damp weather etc) If so, can I drive the car in the old way for any length of time etc etc

c) Do you keep a log of the petrol you use? Have you recently started using a different brand or a particular garage? Can you revert to the one you were using previously?

d) Has it suddenly started happening, in a big way, or has it been gradually getting worse? It could be a creeping problem that is a sign of something starting to fail.

Maybe it is the Redex. Is it the Standard Redex or the Redex Lead Replacemnt stuff? I used to use Standard Redex ages ago to clean the valve seats, but it's different from the Lead Replacement stuff. How much do you put in the tank for what amount of fuel? Maybe it is just a little too oily, although I wouldnt expect it to be the case, but you just never know.

HTH

Tosh

**Men don't stop playing because they grow old; they grow old because they stop playing.**

Originally posted by fixitagaintomorrow
Not wanting to put anyone off replying, but cinqs have one fuel pump and 2 ignition coils.

Sie, I'd try a new fuel filter, could also be an idle speed control valve problem ( I have spares...) or bad electrical connection. Plugs I know you've changed.....

Pete.
1242cc cinq, turbo cinq, Cinqs&Seis Yahoo group, Clubcento

have i got 2 then, im sure i seen one next to the fuel tank and i presume that there is one in the engine bay somewhere, i am goin gon an Uno 1.0 fire engine, so am most probs wrong

gaz_wrexham_sig.jpg

IN THE PIPELINE:

what's really strange is it's not getting worse. it has good days and bad! Got a fuel filter waiting at a Fiat garage for me £15.62. I'm gonna attempt to change it myself later today but that plus hangover will probably equal petrol in my face!

I can't imagine it pouring out at a crazy rate

Sie
Black 96P Cinq Sporting
routebanner.gif

i did it on my sei

5min job

its bolted to the side of the tank.. under the car you can see it if u look under parallel ur filler cap.

click the two catches un the two hoses and they pull off. get a rag cos you will loose a bit of fuel..

before u take the hoses off unbolt it first so its free when u take off the hoses ;)

i got mine from an independant place for a tenner..but its the same part essentially. it onlt goes one way it has an arrow to show the 'flow'. its stupid proof! ;)

hope this helps

alfie

Sei sporting
motore di punto

cheers mate. Already done it! took me a while cos i couldn't get the bracket off the car! It idles much better now but still cuts out when the fan comes on. Starting to think it's the alternator now[V]

Sie
Black 96P Cinq Sporting
routebanner.gif

Back