Technical Temp sensor?

Currently reading:
Technical Temp sensor?

NebulaStilo

Hi guys,

I haven't posted on here for a while. I've got a 1.6 2006 stilo I'm nursing. Slowly getting her right. I drive another car so she can rest while I fix here and there. So now and then I take her for a couple days too keep her legs stretched😂

Quick question, I read somewhere that a temp sensor can cause fueling issues with Ecu, is this true?

I don't have a CEL, I don't have a problem with my temp Guage, always goes to sit on middle when she's at temp. Fan goes on and off when needed. But when she's cold and you start her, she will crank a few times especially when cold. Then I must try a couple times before she starts. Then I let her idle abit, she will have a misfire idle(when revving it doesnt misfire), eventually after about a couple, the idling will smoothen out. Then you drive her and she don't misfire but you can just feel like there a fueling issue.

Say when you pull away like normal, then give her a Rev when changing the gear(clutch pedal is pressed), she will give a 'pop' or backfire out the exhaust. This only happens when she's cold. When driving and you get to around 2500rpm then the revs get jump, then she will be alright if you take her higher.

I used to get a throttle body fault but not getting it anymore and no repairs was done to throttle body.i don't get temp sensor codes. I get very seldom a p0606 after she struggles to start. Not always.

Is it Ecu or sensor related?

O2 sensors replaced and crank sensor.

Worse when cold
ECU error if its been cranking a long time
I would start by measure the battery cranking volts

but I have never owned a Silo so wait for the experts to chime in

Worse when cold
ECU error if its been cranking a long time
I would start by measure the battery cranking volts

but I have never owned a Silo so wait for the experts to chime in
Battery is a brand new battery i bought.
It's the battery for the stilo according to their info.

Extra symptom but happens really seldom ly, this morning I started her, she ran low on idle, like she's at operating temp so the engine struggled to stay on. Pressing the accelerator, pedal is dead. CEL on. Switch car off and start again, starts and has high Rev like normal when she's cold.

I'll read codes later, I just moved her because she was in the way of another car. It's still early hours of the morning here in South Africa

p0606 is an internal computer fault 90% of the time its due to low voltage and/or bad earth

might be nothing more than the battery dropping too low due to extended cranking and not relevant

if it was me I would from cold put some jump leads from another car and see how it starts

post a picture of the sparkplugs in order would tell us a lot, running rich, lean, one cylinder different an so on

any sensor that is involved with controls the fuelling will effect the running. but its a big leap to suspect the coolant sensor. The best way to check is to read the live data and wiggle its cable,

p0606 is an internal computer fault 90% of the time its due to low voltage and/or bad earth

might be nothing more than the battery dropping too low due to extended cranking and not relevant

if it was me I would from cold put some jump leads from another car and see how it starts

post a picture of the sparkplugs in order would tell us a lot, running rich, lean, one cylinder different an so on

any sensor that is involved with controls the fuelling will effect the running. but its a big leap to suspect the coolant sensor. The best way to check is to read the live data and wiggle its cable,
Thank you for the reply

I'm actually going to service her this month end. I'll send pics of her plugs later when I get I chance.

Your explanation of p0606 makes sense because it normally comes when she cranks long. When she cranks long then engine will crank slightly slower say on 2nd or 3rd try but will come back up.

Just a quick question @NebulaStilo, does your 1.6 Stilo have the 192b3000 engine? This engine (in contrary to the classic 1.6 182b6000 that was featured since 2001) is an OPEL/GM engine and it even has a different ECU (Marelli 5SF, same as some newer Pandas I think). Unless most of the things are crap regarding the connections (D4 etc) the usual problems for that car can be found in Opel forums. Your case however looks like a classic connection/voltage issue and I highly doubt that your 5SF ECU is the problem. The temp sensor COULD be the problem as it interferes with the 5V rail from the ECU and that is common with the throttle body.

Just a quick question @NebulaStilo, does your 1.6 Stilo have the 192b3000 engine? This engine (in contrary to the classic 1.6 182b6000 that was featured since 2001) is an OPEL/GM engine and it even has a different ECU (Marelli 5SF, same as some newer Pandas I think). Unless most of the things are crap regarding the connections (D4 etc) the usual problems for that car can be found in Opel forums. Your case however looks like a classic connection/voltage issue and I highly doubt that your 5SF ECU is the problem. The temp sensor COULD be the problem as it interferes with the 5V rail from the ECU and that is common with the throttle body.
Hi
Yes my engine is the

Hi

So as far as I know, I have the 182b6000.same 1.6 in the multiple because my parts store has the fiat multiple down on that engine number also.

My ecu does not look like the 5SF. I'll pop the bonnet and have another look and take a Pic.

My only code that really comes up is P0638.

When I put straight 12v onto the throttle from battery, the throttle opens completely no problem.

So you do have the typical FIAT 1.6 16v 103cv engine just like mine. In my case I had P0638 accompanied with LIMP mode randomly after driving for 5-10 mins (or even less sometimes, it was really random). But after cleaning all the connectors (D4, male ECU connectors, fusebox) I kept driving to see if any other codes would pop up. Sometimes I would get "injector cylinder 3" and misfires for the same cylinder. What I did was to take out the intake manifold and have my injectors to be ultrasonic cleaned and at the same time I also fitted 4 new original spark plugs. Problem gone completely and P0638 never came back. You really need to check ALL the grounds going to the spark plugs and the injectors as the P0638 is really a generic signal that on itself won't tell you much. Oh, and you can also disconnect the pre-cat lambda sensor. In my case doing that helped to drive a bit longer than 10 minutes iirc, but that was probably due to the ECU using a richer mixture and knowing that my injectors were clogged it prevented it from running too lean to get detected by the ECU.

In any case, let us know when you finally resolve the issue!

So you do have the typical FIAT 1.6 16v 103cv engine just like mine. In my case I had P0638 accompanied with LIMP mode randomly after driving for 5-10 mins (or even less sometimes, it was really random). But after cleaning all the connectors (D4, male ECU connectors, fusebox) I kept driving to see if any other codes would pop up. Sometimes I would get "injector cylinder 3" and misfires for the same cylinder. What I did was to take out the intake manifold and have my injectors to be ultrasonic cleaned and at the same time I also fitted 4 new original spark plugs. Problem gone completely and P0638 never came back. You really need to check ALL the grounds going to the spark plugs and the injectors as the P0638 is really a generic signal that on itself won't tell you much. Oh, and you can also disconnect the pre-cat lambda sensor. In my case doing that helped to drive a bit longer than 10 minutes iirc, but that was probably due to the ECU using a richer mixture and knowing that my injectors were clogged it prevented it from running too lean to get detected by the ECU.

In any case, let us know when you finally resolve the issue!
Are you driving my car??? Lol

That is exactly my car. Limp mode especially on startup(randomly) I noticed when she hops into limp, just before then the dash will dim and the CEL and a high idle with no accelerator.

How do I remove the intake manifold?

I serviced her just the other day. New plugs and oil change.

I don't know if I mentioned above, she's got worn valve seals I think because she wont burn oil(blue smoke) on idle or driving. I will coast or take my foot off the pedal for a second perhaps before a overtake or something then when I give gas she will push out some blue smoke and then clear out. I try not to coast😂😂oil is expensive. She's got 250 000km on the clock so I don't blame her.

I've been boggling and trying and checking what could be her issue with the surge. She's got some kind of surge/hesitation, like at times, not always, you will be on the highway at a constant speed and rpm, normally between 2500 and 3000 at a steady rpm,she will dip rpm. Like slightly. She doesn't always do this though.

Then this surge, manifests during pull away at times too. Like a rock and go😂she won't accelerate constant all the way up, she will accelerate with like a hesitation/surge. Dam I can't explain😂😂

That injector clean sounds like it will help🤔

I cannot find the guide but you need to remove the top of the engine with the letters "FIAT" and after you lift it you can find detach each of the 4 injectors and take them out for cleaning. Mine had 301.000km when the 3rd injector had the issue, but of course all 4 of them went for cleaning. In Greece most people have problems at around 300k-320k km with the injectors so in your case with 250k I guess it can be this. But start with wiring and spark plugs and also disconnect the pre-cat lambda to see how it behaves.

Let us know if you manage to fix it!

Back