Technical Temp gauge

Currently reading:
Technical Temp gauge

markfor

Now and again the temp gauge goes to max and red warning light comes on. Sometimes yellow engine management warning comes on.
Engine cuts out then after 2 or 3 seconds back to normal?????

Getting color blind Charlie ? FAQs are in blue ;-)

BRs, Bernie

That's one of the trilogy:
Battery/alternator, cables/grounds and moisture/damp ...

BRs, Bernie

If someone here helped You fix -or better, understand- your issue, hit the thanks icon @ bottom right corner, it's free and makes us feel helpy ;-)

Now and again the temp gauge goes to max and red warning light comes on. Sometimes yellow engine management warning comes on.
Engine cuts out then after 2 or 3 seconds back to normal?????
Has anyone else had this problem?

Has anyone else had this problem?
Yes - my GP has developed a dead or jumping temp gauge which triggers the engine light.

Driving along and a chime goes off and the temp gauge is at the bottom.
Or it starts jumping up to max and back to min then somewhere in between - it will do this a lot or just a couple of times and return to where it was.

Engine light then stays on or turns off after some time.
Sometimes engine light stays on next time I use the car but temp gauge seems to work ok.

Where is the coolant temp sensor anyway? I had a good look around the engine from above and a peek from underneath but didn't spot anything which fits the bill.

... Where is the coolant temp sensor anyway?

Usually bolt in the thermostat housing or the engine head itself. That'll depend on what engine you got.

BRs, Bernie

If someone here helped You fix -or better, understand- your issue, hit the thanks icon @ bottom right corner, it's free and makes us feel helpy ;-)

....That'll depend on what engine you got.
I suppose that's a little detail that would help...:rolleyes:

I have a 2006 1.4 8v......
It's certainly a busy thermostat housing and I guess it's that one as nothing else has an electrical connection...;

I guess I'll start checking electrical connections then move onto testing the sensor itself - unless there is another likely culprit?
My battery terminals and earth straps look ok visually - I haven't disassembled and checked underneath or cleaned/greased them.

Also does it control the radiator fan? After the temp gauge has its fit and the engine light comes on - I think the radiator fan is constantly on - because when I park and lock the car it continues spinning for about 2-3 minutes.

And what is the best, cheapest and easiest fault code reader & reset unit the forum would recommend? Don't want to invest too much as I will be replacing the car later this year. I have a laptop and android smartphone.

That's it indeed ! It informs the Body Control Module (BCM) about the coolant temperature, the BCM then drives the radiator fan if necessary.
Regarding the "cable": ELM327 based BT plug and Torque Lite for Androïd should be way enough ...

BRs, Bernie

Back