General temp gauge drops

Currently reading:
General temp gauge drops

donjon

i have a 02 reg punto ive had it a few weeks and when i drive short distances its fine but when i drive 25 miles plus the temperature gauge drops to below zero and the management light comes on and so does the fans also the car sounds a bit noisy a bit like a boy racer exhaust only not as loud any suggestions

thnx in advance.....

There could be a problem with the stat but that should not cause the gauge to drop to zero. Sounds like the temp sensor or the wiring to it is having a problem. If the ecu can't see the temp sensor for whatever reason it will put the fan on and the eml lamp.

I have the same problem but last year I had the head gasket skimmed and The thermostat was taken out. Does anyone know if it would be still safe to drive long distances like 300/350 miles.

Last edited:
It's rotten practice to drive a car without a thermostat. The engine will struggle to get up to temperature, so the oil will get contaminated with water vapour and petrol (which require heat to evaporate) and it will over-fuel which leads to bore wash. Altogether, a recipe for wear and expense.

Strangely -- or not -- a long trip will create fewer issues than short ones as at least the poor thing will have some chance of heating up.

What clown left the thermostat out?

It was winter and kept freezing I'm refitting it tomoz for the summer and then I will keep it in

I can't remember everything that was worng at the time but there was loads it cost me about £700 to repair and the car was only worth £600. Oh is it easy to remove and refit windscreen washer pump as I can't find my Haynes book for it.

Its the coolant temp sensor...will be PO115 know that from memory as if done so many...back of the head connected to the inlet manifold with 2x13mm bolts and its clipped onto the the inlet so need push it down to release...a coolant pipe is attached aswel....replace it will solve problem for a while then will come back lol...crap FIAT. Electrics mine always did it in this weather too

BTW engines run fine without a thermostat just kill a little more fuel due to taking time for it to warm up

Last edited:
Destroys engines -- bore wash means there's very little lubrication of the bores, overfuelling means the sump oil gets diluted with petrol. Sure, they'll "run fine", for a while. But that's hardly the point.

Running without a stat makes no sense whatsoever on a road car and is the calling card of the bodger.

Destroys engines -- bore wash means there's very little lubrication of the bores, overfuelling means the sump oil gets diluted with petrol. Sure, they'll "run fine", for a while. But that's hardly the point.

Running without a stat makes no sense whatsoever on a road car and is the calling card of the bodger.

(y)

WRONG! how u gonna get petrol in the sump?? it only add more fuel during cold running, its an automatic choke, if your getting fuel into the sump your rings are knackered that's another fault and you will have no compression and so your engine will not be running for you to dilute the sump oil

and I ran an overfuelling punto 1.2 8v with no thermostat (wasn't in the car when I bought it otherwise I wouldn't of removed it for no reason) for over 30k miles without 1 issue....but then again I must of "bodged" it with magic spells, the fairies and pixies must of sealed my rings up for me whilst I played on my unicorn

WRONG! how u gonna get petrol in the sump?? it only add more fuel during cold running, its an automatic choke, if your getting fuel into the sump your rings are knackered that's another fault and you will have no compression and so your engine will not be running for you to dilute the sump oil

and I ran an overfuelling punto 1.2 8v with no thermostat (wasn't in the car when I bought it otherwise I wouldn't of removed it for no reason) for over 30k miles without 1 issue....but then again I must of "bodged" it with magic spells, the fairies and pixies must of sealed my rings up for me whilst I played on my unicorn

are you serious?
i guess you are if you dont understand bore wash and its causes

are you serious?
i guess you are if you dont understand bore wash and its causes

yh you hit it spot on...I don't know sh*t about engines...I just sit on a forum all day giving my opinion with googled facts in the hope everyone will think im qualified enough to diagnose vehicle :rolleyes:

in reality I cant even change a spark plug, but shush!! no body on this forum seems to know that as I use my big words to convince them when im at a key board ;)

yh you hit it spot on...I don't know sh*t about engines...I just sit on a forum all day giving my opinion with googled facts in the hope everyone will think im qualified enough to diagnose vehicle :rolleyes:

in reality I cant even change a spark plug, but shush!! no body on this forum seems to know that as I use my big words to convince them when im at a key board ;)

yes i can see this is true with your statements lately
a little thought for you
why do pistons have piston rings
i would be very interested in your answer
take your time
google it if you want
but please answer it in as many of your own words as you want

by the way if your above post is an attempt to belittle me then it falls on deaf ears as i run a garage for a living, maybe if you read a little more rather than trying to bull**** you would appreciate this fact
one more thing
if i havent done it i dont comment because that way i never look a fool:)

yes i can see this is true with your statements lately
a little thought for you
why do pistons have piston rings
i would be very interested in your answer
take your time
google it if you want
but please answer it in as many of your own words as you want

by the way if your above post is an attempt to belittle me then it falls on deaf ears as i run a garage for a living, maybe if you read a little more rather than trying to bull**** you would appreciate this fact
one more thing
if i havent done it i dont comment because that way i never look a fool:)

ahahaha! least you have a sensor of humor...well your speeches don't half crack me up (y)

I didn't ask for your life story, however please tell us all your garage name and address so I know who not to recommend

how old are you if you don't mind me asking that is?

I don't care if you ran across the moon naked mate tbh, iv worked for a professional engine reconditioner/builder, I worked for a tyre shop (boring as hell I know), I worked for an auto electrics (after the punto because I was lost when it came to electrics when building it so thought id get the experience for future), I was head mechanic at my last garage, I worked for a rolling road remap company, I own my own business atm, im in the process of renting out a massive unit for engine reconditioning business (not seen yours but im fairly sure its bigger as its 2 units knocked though), im in the process of vehicle ECU remapping...so don't tell me I don't know what im doing, no I don't like to show off about any of it cos im not that kind of person but your Mr Perfect, own a garage?? biiiiitch please!! I know loads of back street garages changing brake pads for £5 a side that's nothing to be proud of, do a head job and come running to someone like me to come in and sort it out for you, not being able to change the crank sensors on 2.0 TDI's without removing front end, not being able to chang a clutch on a new mini without taking engine out, iv seen it all mate LOL so don't try and lecture me on how you know stuff and "I clearly don't"

under minding me like I don't know sh*t mate u must be lost out of your mind

brin there is no choke automatic or manual on fuel injection engine, fueling is controled by sensors and the ecu, so might be a good idea if you did google for the facts

stick to bunny's Dave

Last edited:
Back