Technical tell tell signs of steering rack problem

Currently reading:
Technical tell tell signs of steering rack problem

Gunny Bedford said:
Seeing as i started one of these threads re the steering rack noise, i guess i should say my penny's worth.

1. I have a 1.3 90BHP multijet, and the noise from the rack was there from brand new.

2. Mine was more a "creaking" noise then thumps and bangs, and was loudest when going at low speeds and over bumpy roads etc.

3. I never detected any free play or any other defect in the steering itself, just the noise.

4. When i took it to my Fiat dealer and went out on a test drive, the guy that came with me heard the noise almost immediately and recognised it as a faulty rack, he was sat in the front passenger seat and also stated that he could "feel" it through the floor. Now i am no mechanic by any means so i dont know quite what he meant by that, unless the steering mechanism goes under the passanger side of the car, i must admit to never "feeling it" but then i didnt sit in that seat very often.

5. When my rack was replaced the noise was immediately gone, have had the car back for a couple of weeks now with no problem what so ever.

My suggestion would be for anyone to take their car back to their dealer if they think they may have a problem and get them to check it out ! it wont cost you anything !

regards

Neil

Hi Neal,

Thanks for the info. I hope it will stay good because here in Holland there a multiple cases of people that had the steering rack replaced and after a while it came back again because it was the same faulty rack. I hope you got a new type so it will not come back in your car.(y)

Gunny Bedford said:
My suggestion would be for anyone to take their car back to their dealer if they think they may have a problem and get them to check it out ! it wont cost you anything !

Excellent advice(y)

Diablo_NL......a few dealers were ordering similar racks unaware updated racks had new part number.

Having read these threads, I'm not sure if I'm a steering wheel rack victim. Basically when I turn the steering wheel at low speeds to more than about 270 degrees, it makes a very, very faint 'click' noise, which is also faintly felt.

Am I a victim? :confused:

if I turn the steering wheel from side to side (when the car is not moving) it makes a noise. I also get quite a lot of excessive road noise - could I have the steering rack problem? I have a 1.2 active

Thanks

Back