Technical Steering problem

Currently reading:
Technical Steering problem

MarikGr

Hello , fist of all i'm new and english is not my first language so excuse me for bad grammar .
Im having some problems with the steering on my 2009 Fiat Grande Punto 1.2 petrol .

How it all started , the car has an after market Viper alarm sistem on it since the car was bought in 2009 . Few nights ago i activated the alarm horn as a joke to scare someone , well it backfired on me . After the alarm stopped i noticed the car was not central locking using the key and the trunk was not opening from the inside button aswell . Worse when i tried to head home i noticed the steering was stiff and the red steering wheel was present in the dashboard. Thats nothing new since i always had that but it turned off after i took a corner . Now it doesn't turn off .

Tried disconecting the battery thinking it will reset but didn't work . Had a new battery installed , same thing .
After some digging i've found a fuse in the dashaboard controlling both the locking and trunk , put in a new fuse and it fixed the problem . Also located the steering fuse (its a 70A in the engine fuse box) but it didn;'t fix the problem .

Using a tester i get U1702 Electrical Steering NGE .

Is it possible my power steering was already on life support having always the red circle on startup and now the huge sock ended it ? Should i try a new complete steering column/motor assembly ?

Sorry for the long post and thank you for reading , any replies help .

Attachments

• IMG_20220912_210515.jpg
    IMG_20220912_210515.jpg
    438.3 KB · Views: 100
Sounds like your alarm drew too much power and blew the fuse.
The power steering light has been on for a long time, and now it’s dead. It’s typical that the power steering has some time where it works but still throws errors until it completely dies.

Maybe check earth connections and hook it up to fiat Multiecuscan before getting a new power steering unit.

Back