Technical TDi or JTD?

Currently reading:
Technical TDi or JTD?

LoBsTeR

Brain freeze
Just wondering what the difference was between a Stilo TDi and a JTD. My Stilo is a very early 02 and has a 'TD' badge, but on the engine it says JTD. I have been told by the friend I bought it from that it is the 115 JTD and it says JTD on the logbook. Its certainly ALOT quicker than my other half's Corsa 1.7DTi. Does the 80bhp have the same looking engine? Is it marked JTD? Just wondering how I could distinguish between the two visually.

It's a JTD. JTD is Fiat's way of saying it's a turbo diesel with commonrail (just like peugeot's HDI and Mercedes' CDI).
The 2nd generation commonrail from Fiat is marked JTDm (or Multijet/Mjet) such as on the Grande Punto and the Alfa 159.

Last edited:
I take it that VGT stands for Variable Geometry Turbo. In which case, does that mean that I get a very smooth torque curve right up to about 5000rpm? In which case, I would say that I have a JTD with a VGT turbo. I get no lag, and the bugger keeps on revving with power right through the range.

Gonna take it into a Fiat garage after its had its service.

LoBsTeR said:
I take it that VGT stands for Variable Geometry Turbo. In which case, does that mean that I get a very smooth torque curve right up to about 5000rpm? In which case, I would say that I have a JTD with a VGT turbo. I get no lag, and the bugger keeps on revving with power right through the range.

Gonna take it into a Fiat garage after its had its service.

That's correct, VGT is Variable Geometry Turbo and is designed to do remove turbo lag at low revs. You don't need to rev it to 5000 rpm, i'm not even sure you can - it might be limited to something like 4800 rpm (my old Punto JTD was), because you have max hp at 4000 rpm.

LoBsTeR said:
Just wondering what the difference was between a Stilo TDi and a JTD. My Stilo is a very early 02 and has a 'TD' badge, but on the engine it says JTD. I have been told by the friend I bought it from that it is the 115 JTD and it says JTD on the logbook.
Are you sure some clown hasn't just carefully removed the 'J' :idea:

FYI - Vauxhall call theirs CDTI - Common rail Diesel Turbo Injection

Ford - TDCI - Turbo Diesel Common rail Injection

Sometimes VAG TDIs have PD after the name which means PumpunhassuenDen (or summat) which is different from Common Rail but similiar idea

:D

Oh and the old none common rail FIATs were called TD!

So older Bravo/as were TD and the newer ones became JTD when common rail was introduced

The 115 has an intercooler, the 80 does not. Look for a silver radiator near the bottom of the engine bay infront of the passenger side front wheel. otherwise. ring ant fiat dealer and they can tell from your engine number

the 115 and 80 both have intercoolers, the difference is that the 115 has VGT and the 80 has FGT so there's no real way of telling by looking in the engine.

only way to tell is to look at the log book or drive it :devil:

Last edited:
You mean to tell me that I just spent 15 minutes crawling around under the car and in the bonet compartment with a flashlight in freezing weather conditions looking for an intercooler for nothing? ;)

LMFAO!!

Nah, had it confirmed by Fiat. 115hp

Mind you, found the D4 connector and the air filter and the turbo and a whole host of other important stuff.

Thanks folks. You lot are a valuable asset. Really appreciate the help.

And where do I find the variable geometry actuator amongst the pipes and wires?

A long time since I worked on engines...

Back