Tax glitch - driving without tax

Currently reading:
Tax glitch - driving without tax

austenw90

'13 Punto MultiAir 105
I just wanted to collect some thoughts on the new tax system as so far my experience has been pretty bad.

I bought my car on 04/10/2014 at which time I applied for tax online using the new system whilst at the dealership, Paid, recieved confirmation and was on my way.

After 5 weeks I phoned as I hadn't recieved the V5 log book. Filled the V62? In and a few days later got a log book.

Yesterday I looked at the vehicle enquiries website to confirm the MOT expiry date of my girlfriends car and just done a quick search on my own out of interest.

The website said my car was untaxed...

I called the DVLA and it appears (from what they said) that the salesman put the date I acquired the car as 04/11/2014 by mistake. Therefore the £130 tax I paid would have automatically been refunded to the previous owner (the dealer in this case) by cheque and I would be none the wiser...

Now, if the tax disc still existed and I hadn't had it in the post then I would have queried this a while ago. It just so happens I made an enquiry online.

There seems to be a flaw here.

I understand its my responsibility to tax and insure my vehicle but I was blissfully unaware.

Last edited:
This isn't just a failing in the dealership putting the wrong date, if the dvla hadn't insisted on this new 'can't buy a car with tax' system they've introduced then it would have happened either.

Many times when I've bought cars from a dealer the dealership has organised the tax for me, they would MOT it tax it and have it ready for collection, now thought you have to hope the dealer has MOT'd it when they say so you can organise insurance, wait for all the systems to update then tax it online. Things don't tend to work smoothly enough for this to work

When I taxed my grande at the end of November, I elected to pay monthly that way I can cancel the direct debit the second I sell it, no need to worry about over paying then.

I have to admit I hate the new system though I do appreciate what they are trying to avoid

I have to admit I hate the new system though I do appreciate what they are trying to avoid

A letter from the DVLA telling me that the car I've just become the registered keeper of is not taxed or SORN would have been a great help but instead it appears they see £ signs...

Does this still apply I wonder?

"The DVLA maintain a computer database of all vehicles registered in the UK. Database checks are made on a monthly basis and amongst other things, this database informs them of which vehicles have current tax along with those that don't. If the system flags a vehicle as being untaxed and not declared SORN, an automated letter and fine of £80 will be issued to the registered keepers address. Early settlement of this fine if paid within 28 days can see a 50% discount where you will be required to pay a fine of £40."

Maybe the fine is in the post but takes the standard 4-6 weeks to arrive.

Back