General Tank mileage

Currently reading:
General Tank mileage

austenw90

'13 Punto MultiAir 105
I've just completed a 446 mile run from Southampton to Falkirk via Glasgow with about 3 litres to spare. Quite a heavy load in the back and -2 to +2 degrees Celsius all the way. Heavy traffic for about 100 miles, lots of steep hills.

I'm working that out to be about 48mpg, not bad for a NA 1.4 16v petrol engine I don't think.

Sounds good. However, when I do an actual calculation of how much fuel I put in against the number of miles covered, it's always much less than the on board computer says the car did.

Anyone else tried this?

That to me seems about right for the 1.4.

I have the 1.4 8v and did a week up to the Lake District in September, three up and luggage and managed around 50mpg for the week.

Do you manage better from the 116d? I'm guessing so but when I used a 2008 120d a few years back it didn't seems to achieve any more than 50mpg.

I suspect the 135 MultiAir is slightly better with the efficiency of a turbo, would love one but they seem difficult to get hold of, very few around.

Do you manage better from the 116d? I'm guessing so but when I used a 2008 120d a few years back it didn't seems to achieve any more than 50mpg.

I suspect the 135 MultiAir is slightly better with the efficiency of a turbo, would love one but they seem difficult to get hold of, very few around.

Funnily enough the 116d returns about the same. Having said that the 1ser spends most of its time abroad and either on the autobahns or climbing the alps. So I suppose it's not too bad when you consider the usage.

When I had a T jet it averaged 36mpg on a trip round Europe and I thought that was reasonable given the usage.

My works Focus 1.6d returns around 53mpg

My 320i is around 20mpg (chipped and BBTB) and the 323i around 24mpg.

My 1.6 diesel sporting averaged 56.7mpg on a recent few days away. Mixture of A roads, motorway & city driving, mostly with a full boot. I have to say im chuffed with the mpg. I use approx 1/8 of a tank in a normal week:D

I had a MiTo back in 2009, 1.6Jtd. On a 70mph run from Southampton to Peterborough it achieved 68mpg. Nearly all motorway driving and one passenger with me. I thought that was brilliant, made it there and back on less than half a tank.

I had a MiTo back in 2009, 1.6Jtd. On a 70mph run from Southampton to Peterborough it achieved 68mpg. Nearly all motorway driving and one passenger with me. I thought that was brilliant, made it there and back on less than half a tank.

Thats fantastic. And these diesels give a decent turn of pace.
I had th gp 1.9 multijet sporting a few years ago and that was always decent on fuel. I fitted a top end tuning box which made it pull like a steam train and improved fuel economy on all journey types by 5mpg.

Back