General Tachometer Wiring HELP NEEDED!

Currently reading:
General Tachometer Wiring HELP NEEDED!

Hi all. This is my first thread so hope I'm doing it right!

I have just brought a 1993 (K-reg) 1108CC Panda Selecta. I am wanting to fit a Tacho / rev-counter to it. I'm normally fairly up to speed with fitting things and wiring but this has got me stumped. I can't seem to find the coil (just note, I have two other Panda's with the coil at the back of the engine bay), but can't find it or anything similar on my new Panda.

Its one of the later injection Panda's. I have looking in the Haynes manual to no avail.

Attached are some pics of where the HT leads go to. From each of these two modules (each taking 2HT leads) there are two wires running into the main loom of the car which seems to disapear into the cockpit (passenger side) around where the ECU is situated.

DSC05074.JPG

According to the haynes manual the car has an electronic tacho for the ECU to be able to calculate aload of things. Does anyone know anything about this and if it can be tapped off of?

If some one can please shed some light as to where I should be looking to attach the -ve coil cable from the tacho to, it would be greatly recieved!

ALSO

What is this by the fly wheel?

DSC05077.JPG

THANKS

Attachments

• DSC05079.JPG
    DSC05079.JPG
    344 KB · Views: 50
Don't really know much about the engines but I had a selecta and had to have a new coil pack and it is located on the right hand side of the engine when you look at it. next to the head. Hope this is any help. I don't remember seeing the coil on mine either

Last edited:
Those two modules are coil packs (in effect you have two coils feeding two cylinders each). If you fit the rev counter induction loop to one of these you only get half revs on the rev counter:eek:

That led down by the crank is the crank sensor for the ecu, I would leave this alone as tappig into it may well effect the running of the car.

The panda ecu does not have a rev counter feed:( but do you need one for a selectra, it'll not tell you anything meaningfull as its a CVT gearbox.

Those two modules are coil packs (in effect you have two coils feeding two cylinders each). If you fit the rev counter induction loop to one of these you only get half revs on the rev counter:eek:

That led down by the crank is the crank sensor for the ecu, I would leave this alone as tappig into it may well effect the running of the car.

The panda ecu does not have a rev counter feed:( but do you need one for a selectra, it'll not tell you anything meaningfull as its a CVT gearbox.

Is there not an unused pin on the Panda ECU for the tachometer as per the Cinq 899 Ecu's?

If not, then seeing as the ignition/ injection setup looks similar to the Cinq Sporting, then maybe swapping in an early (non red key) Sporting ECU might do the trick and give that all important tacho feed.

Otherwise you need to find someone who knows about electronics. I'm sure you wouldn't need many components to take the signal from one of the coils and then multiply the frequency by two to give the correct tachometer pulse.

I agree with Panda Sport that the Selecta doesn't NEED a tacho, but personally I always like to know what my engine is up to whatever the car it's in ;)

Is there not an unused pin on the Panda ECU for the tachometer as per the Cinq 899 Ecu's?

Not on the ecu I used to have:( ( I had good reason to map every pin as you know Chas:D )

Also the selecta ecu also has extra feeds to/from gearbox/brakes I believe so a swop I think is out

Damon, was that old ECU off the old 999cc Fire before conversion? Just wondering if I can join in the rev counter fun. It's one thing I'd love to have.

Yes it was, I now have a rev counter feed, just need to get round to fitting the Y10 turbo clocks with rev counter and 140mph speedo

Many thanks for all the help from everyone (Wish I came across the forum before now). A few people seem to be saying I don't need a tacho, and that fact is I don't and not many cars do, but I like to see what the engine is doing:)

As mentioned above, my Panda seems to have two coil packs, one will give half the reading, but I can adjust my tachometer for 4 6 or 8 cylinder engines, so if I flick it to 8 cyl should it give the correct reading?

My panda has the 899cc of the cento... and I have the same problem..

Look's like someone will have to search for the rev. counter pin on the ecu:yuck:

I have 2 tachometers to fit in my panda... but is a bit difficult connect all wires..:(

I have to search for the electrical scheme for panda and Y10 Gtie/Turbo..

imagem391ee8.jpg

Hi
I have same problem :(
In old Panda it was very easy but now is now:(
I'm still waiting for my friend who is going to fit it and he said that it possible...
He said that there could be 2 ways:
1. You can use cable which is connect to one of two coils(he is not sure which one:(
2. In this type of injections alternator should have one pin to connect tacho, but I checked it and I didn't se anything like that:(
I was going to check one coil's wire but I don't want to broke ECU as is too expensive to change:)
Information about wires on coils he found on Fiat Uno forum, they've got similar problem.
If he send me some ma manual about it, I'll tell you:)

PROBLEM SOLVED!?!

I think I've solved the tachometer wiring problem for panda's (and possibly other Fiats) with the twin coil set up's!

I was reading the my Fiat Service manual aka THE BIBLE (Service manuals Fiat dealer ships were supplied with, not the Haynes manual) and managed to get the ECU wiring diagram!

DSC05103.JPG

It seems my origional thought was correct and that the item pictured by the fly wheel when I started this tread is a 'RPM and Synchronism sensor' (or Rev counter in simple terms).

This has two wires going to the ECU, a +ve and -ve input, pins 28 and 11 respectivley.

This lead me to think that the -ve 'Signal' wire that normally connects to the -ve coil point from the tachometer should be connect here (pin 11).

But...

I then decided that this seems to simple!

I kept looking at the ECU wiring diagram and then came across pin number 23 'Signal for switching off electric fuel pump safety device and rev counter, if fitted'.

I am now wondering if it is pin 23 I should be connecting the tachometer '-ve signal wire' to?

Just thought I'd present the info I've found and get some feedback before I continue.

Jon.

Back