General Swapping 500 Abarth for Twinair

Currently reading:
General Swapping 500 Abarth for Twinair

I always fancied getting a half decent 2lt 20v turbo Coupe but my wife shudders at the very thought :D

I don't think I would trade down my Abarth but then again I don't think the costs are that bad really. Mind you, I was insuring a Barchetta previously so the Abarth was a good bit less to insure. MPG is fairly decent and better than my 1.6 Stilo used to do. Hardly like for like but just happy the Abarth is a bit better.

I suppose it depends where you are driving as well. I could be in anything on the motorway and not really care as out and out speed isn't a big thing for me. I'd prefer to drive the wifes Bravo than the Abarth for a long boring road trip.

When you get into the twisties though that's where the fun factor comes into the Abarth for me....and the odd bit of roundabout hooliganism.

It depends what turns you on , something new, safe and fairly quick, or some old and quick well used banger - maybe a Renault 5GT. Tax and ins may be higher on a 500 Abarth, but the price difference compared to an equally specced 500 is negligible. Spec up a POP1.2C ( really useful in the UK) and it'll be roughly the same.

I would aim a little higher than an old renault!
Something like a Porsche 944 turbo or 928 could be insured on a classic policy quite easily, and a decent model shouldn't cost any more than 4k or so - cheaper models are likely to be duffers. E36 M3s are dirt cheap too, but 1990s mercedes SL are particularly cheap at the moment, are rock solid and will be unlikely to lose much more value. I'd quite happily spend money on one

as an owner of an abarth 500 ss for 18 months i have to say my comments are not a reality fail for me, just harsh reality :(

thanks for all the advice/comments though, plenty for me to think about.

(In the voice of Harry Carpenter) And Maxi opens the proceedings with a light slap with a sequined clutch bag. Draigflag feels the sting and recoils. How will he respond...?
Not to be funny but please stop trying to dress things up as a fight or something.

Back