Technical Suspension top mounts

Currently reading:
Technical Suspension top mounts

Danoid

For a few years the 500 1.2 2009 pop we have bangs and clatters over bumps sometimes (usually when it’s colder)

So I’ve finally bought the correct tools to get the strut off and replacing both side top mounts, but what’s the best make to go for? No doubt genuine ones are silly price, however it’s lasted this long so not a bad i suppose.

I’ve watched a few videos but I’m confused on the orientation is has to go back on, there seems to be like a rubber arrow, does that need to point to the rear of the car for both sides? It looks like they still freely move so I can imagine taking the old one off and it’ll move so I won’t know doh

thanks

I forgot to add this is what we’ve had on the MOT for a few years

• Nearside Front Upper Macpherson strut pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement (5.3.4 (a) (i))
  • Nearside Front Lower Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement rear bush (5.3.4 (a) (i))
  • Offside Front Lower Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement rear bush (5.3.4 (a) (i))
I assume the lower suspension advisories are the wishbones? Looks a big to change but somewhat common I believe

Depends on how much you want to pay, personally I'd replace every part of the front suspension, I bought Lemforder top bearings this is my guide to the job

Whilst on check the rear beam suspension spring cups lower, ours had almost cracked off at this age there will be many age related issues if you want to keep the car for some time then it could be quite a few jobs but once done you're good for probably 6 more years, this was our car

Attachments

• 20200915_150824.jpg
    20200915_150824.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 101
Depends on how much you want to pay, personally I'd replace every part of the front suspension, I bought Lemforder top bearings this is my guide to the job
Thanks that’s very informative, I’ll be honest unless the shocks are knackered I’ll just be changing the minimum but to me any suspension part should be in pairs so although the drivers top mounts seems fine I’ll still change it.

regarding the rear cups, mines still good but it’s on the list to get rid of the flaky coating, Bilt Hamber rust converter then I’ll spray dinnitrol 4941 and that should be good for years.

our 500 (wifes car) only does around 1000 miles a year pretty much which is why I’d like the costs down, doesn’t help she’s fallen out of love with it as all the clear coating is dissapearing :( I did say never buy a red car haha

When I did mine, I bought new shocks to replace at the same time. Can't remember now what brand top mounts I used but I got Bilstein shocks.
I'm glad I got the new shocks as one of mine was shot (drinkers side) and had virtually no resistance when compressed and wouldn't extend. There was also side to side movement in the neck of the shock. For the cost, its worth doing the shocks and top mounts anyway as it all has to come out at the same time.......
I did also replace the lower arms at a similar time due to play in the bushes but this can be considered a separate job.

I will predict you'll need new mounts, drop links probably shocks(more due to issues disassembling them) so you might as well do springs and lower control arms too(though that's a bumper off job), personally I'd replace the top "cups"and shock dust covers and spring cup- I didn't replace these and I think they could be the source of a odd noise over speed humps

I will predict you'll need new mounts, drop links probably shocks(more due to issues disassembling them) so you might as well do springs and lower control arms too(though that's a bumper off job), personally I'd replace the top "cups"and shock dust covers and spring cup- I didn't replace these and I think they could be the source of a odd noise over speed humps
Which part are cups and spring cup?

I’d like to thing most of it apart from the top mount is fairly decent as it’s only done 29k, here’s hoping anyway

My issue with 500 suspension are the factory parts are cheap! They are adequate for most but from what I’ve read can fail pretty quick

The only issue with replacing parts of the suspension part by part is you will end up chasing your tail …. Once you have disturbed bushes and bolts they can bring on failure pretty quickly .. especially on older original parts.

Of course cost is a factor especially these days … if your just replacing the top bushes go for quality brand aftermarket & just remember to get them the correct way around or you will still get bangs and bump noises!

Note the new mounts generally have a integrated bearing you'll need to knock out the old one from the spring cup once you've compressed and removed the spring from the strut, it's not going to be a quick job give yourself 2 days and bank on replacing virtually everything you might get away keeping the rusty springs
New shocks can be as cheap as £58 a pair on Ebay probably not much less than the quality mounts as too can all the other bits you need, Ebay

Last edited:
Awesome thanks for all the info, if it ends up jacked up for a while it doesn’t matter as it’s only usually used on the weekend to go shopping, so worst case if the shock is shot I’ll get them ordered.

I like to buy quality parts that will last but then more money and more convincing my wife to part with her cash

You have to look at the car in the long term, are you keeping until scrap or selling in say 3 years, if it's the latter then why spend a fortune(but still do it right) if however it's likely to be a long time/learning car then it's worth the extra,, that said ours makes a noise and all the front was replaced about 5 years ago with branded parts

Back