General Sump Plug Removal

Currently reading:
General Sump Plug Removal

Formula 91

The Panda race series!
Afternoon All.

I thought I'd be good to my Panda at the weekend and give it a service, as I have no record of any prior service work.

After adding engine flush to the oil I attempted to remove the sump plug :bang:
It is siezed in place, and forcing it with a breaker bar will result in the hex rounding out (I stopped when I felt this starting to happen).

I am a little reluctant to take a blow torch to it as there is quite a bit of oil residue from a leaky sump seal and don't want to risk the car going up in smoke (n)

My next plan is to drop the sump (but not the oil :rolleyes:) and seeing if its any easier with it off the car. It need to come anyway to be reselaed, so I figured I have nothing to loose.

I thought I'd post here incase any one else had experienced the same and had any ideas/tips I've not considered.

Tom

Hmmm, sounds like you might need a new sump if you can't get that plug off. Ebay might be a good place for that. Might it be worth trying to force it off on the basis that if you do sheer the plug it doesn't matter because you'll need to remove and replace the sump?

I know we had to use a length of scaffolding to remove the plug on the 1000CL when we last serviced it :eek:

Jon.

Thanks guys.
I'd already checked ebay for sumps but don't really want to buy a new sump if I can help it. I think my course of action will be to whip the sump off, then see if I can get the plug out. With the sump out it should be easier to apply force to it squarly, which is what I was struggling with under the car. I can also then heat it without the risk of burning the car :eek:.

Just out of interest what is the correct size bit to use:confused: I think I had a 12... which was the biggest in the set I've got....:rolleyes:

If you haven't already got the car up on ramps, a decent bit of clearance underneath will help to get proper directional pull on the plug. Also a small electrical screwdriver or similar hammered between the flats of the key and the plug, can make the difference to taking up the slack and rounding off the hex.
Mike

Cheers Mike. It hadn't occured to me to get the ramps out. Dur..! Although it may be trickier to get the Panda up them than the Landy! Also thanks for the tip on the screw driver - will give it a go.

Cheers Mike. It hadn't occured to me to get the ramps out. Dur..! Although it may be trickier to get the Panda up them than the Landy! Also thanks for the tip on the screw driver - will give it a go.

True, my Panda's a 4x4 and I generally have to put it into AWD to get up the ramps, but if you do struggle a couple of short pieces of plank resting on the middle rungs of the ramps will normally flatten the angle out enough to get you up there. I do find that almost any job underneath the Panda is much, much easier on ramps, but I'm spoilt on the Landy as you can almost ride your bike underneath it!
Mike

On a previous car had same problem, and drilled a hole through sump plug, tapped it and used smaller bolt with a washer. Had no further problems. Probably make the purists cringe a bit.

I think I'm having a dur... moment here :eek:, I don't understand. Could you explain a bit more please :eek:;)

I hope you're not mocking me.... ;):rolleyes:

What Mike means is when there is a bit of play between the hex bit and the hex hole in the sump plug, you could hammer a small flat screw driver into the gap ensuring a tight fit (Feel free to correct me if I am wrong).

I hope you're not mocking me.... ;):rolleyes:

What Mike means is when there is a bit of play between the hex bit and the hex hole in the sump plug, you could hammer a small flat screw driver into the gap ensuring a tight fit (Feel free to correct me if I am wrong).

Thanks, not mocking you, just got out of bed and couldn't think of another phrase to use, and so plagerised yours :eek: Sorry (y)

Back