subs

Currently reading:
subs

Fiat Fan

Speedy Sei Driver
Joined
Mar 2, 2005
Messages
277
Location
Crewe
is there a way to get good sreet bass without filling your boot?
iv got sony 6x9 220watt in my back shelf and 4" 300watt in my dash but i would like more bass, any ideas?:D i have a sei
 
Joined
Apr 28, 2005
Messages
3,262
Location
West Yorkshire
How much effort are you prepared to put it and how much £££ are you prepared to spend?

Proper streetbass needs at least 1kw of power and a 12" minimum sub in an oversized ported enclosure.

I've got 2 10" subs in an oversized sealed wheel well enclosure which will be getting 400w rms each.

TBH, a nice 10" sub in a sealed or ported enclosure with 150+ watts rms up it's chuff will give you some decent bass
 

steve1219

The Older Modder
Joined
Jul 13, 2004
Messages
2,831
Location
South Wales
Fiat Fan said:
is there a way to get good sreet bass without filling your boot?
iv got sony 6x9 220watt in my back shelf and 4" 300watt in my dash but i would like more bass, any ideas?:D i have a sei

If I was you go to a few shows or cruises and have a listen to and look at what is around before you spend any money. We all tend to recommend what we may think is best and it may not suit you. I found doing the above was the best and then start asking around once you really have an idea of what you want.

Steve
 

wotnowarninglight

New member
Joined
Dec 25, 2005
Messages
1,177
Location
Here, there & everywhere!
To save space try bass tubes or isobaric boxes, tend to be smaller. There are also some under seat and spare wheel well bass devices out there (pioneer & kenwood) if space is an issue. Its just that by and large that bigger MDF boxes with 10's / 12's or 15's (mate had a boxed and ported 1200W 15' sub in the back of a Carlton... crank that up and loose bowel movements became spontaneous and guranteed :eek: ) give better results £ for £
 
OP
OP
Fiat Fan

Fiat Fan

Speedy Sei Driver
Joined
Mar 2, 2005
Messages
277
Location
Crewe
wotnowarninglight said:
To save space try bass tubes or isobaric boxes, tend to be smaller. There are also some under seat and spare wheel well bass devices out there (pioneer & kenwood) if space is an issue.
where would i get bass tubes from iv never heard of them before :D
 

wotnowarninglight

New member
Joined
Dec 25, 2005
Messages
1,177
Location
Here, there & everywhere!
paulbfd said:
To save space, have a look at www.autoacoustics.co.uk they do a "Stealthbox" which lives over the wheel arch in the boot.

Bass tubes and "active subs" are a bit crap.

Agree self amplified tubes etc. can give disappointing results. Bear in mind though that different types of sounds suit different folks, its all about personal taste. Prefer 10's for tight punchy base / 12's for 33khz clitoral resonance effect and 15' + if im constipated :D Will send my missus round to sort you out coz I now feel a desperate need to go and get a stealthbox for me Stilo and its your fault... look :cool: thanks (y)
 
OP
OP
Fiat Fan

Fiat Fan

Speedy Sei Driver
Joined
Mar 2, 2005
Messages
277
Location
Crewe
how come the StealthBoXz are so expensive, what are they made of, gold? the standard ones are £161 each:eek:
thanks to anyone who has give me help(y)
i might have a go at making my own StealthBoXz lol unless anyones got any other ideas (y)
 
Joined
Apr 28, 2005
Messages
3,262
Location
West Yorkshire
They're made from fibreglass so they fit exactly into the contours of the boot.

Not the easiest thing in the world to do, nor is it cheap as the materials are expensive.

If you could give me an idea of how much you want to spend, I'll have a look about and see what bargains I can find for ya!
 

chaos

Ah. Not good...
Joined
Jan 16, 2005
Messages
10,602
paulbfd said:
I'll have a look about and see what bargains I can find for ya!

You do seem to have a knack for finding bargains Paul :)

FG is a bit tricky (and a bit messy!) at first, but once you get the hang of it, it gets easier (y) If you want to make your own FG enclosure, and you are new to the world of FG, get some practice on something simple and straightfoward pieces first so you get used to it :D
 
OP
OP
Fiat Fan

Fiat Fan

Speedy Sei Driver
Joined
Mar 2, 2005
Messages
277
Location
Crewe
im not sure how much i want to spend it would depend on how sutable it was, would it be possible to make a fibreglass box for a sub for under £50
cant i make it out of wood? you know where you stand with wood :D
 
Joined
Apr 28, 2005
Messages
3,262
Location
West Yorkshire
I'm not sure if you could make a fibreglass box for £50. The materials required are expensive and the cheapest place is in Portsmouth, so then you need to add £10-15 postage.

Obviously if you make a box from wood, then that's going to take up more room in the boot. My wheelwell enclosure is 1.1-1.2ft3 and technically takes up no room in my boot at all - the two huge ass 10" subs sticking out do though :D

Have mounted my amps on the back seat since this pic was taken

TA_boot_3.jpg
 
OP
OP
Fiat Fan

Fiat Fan

Speedy Sei Driver
Joined
Mar 2, 2005
Messages
277
Location
Crewe
that looks sweet, but cant afford to do anything that big at the moment, do you have a site link to the fibre glass place so i can check it out?
cheers ben
(y)
 
Joined
Apr 28, 2005
Messages
3,262
Location
West Yorkshire
Sure do

www.cfsnet.co.uk

You need resin, catalyst (or hardener), 600g Chopped Strand Mat (CSM), a syringe, mixing sticks (like lollipop sticks), mixing buckets, a roller to get the air bubbles out, some acetone to clean up uncured resin, a load of masking tape, some release wax and some surgical gloves (the ones they butt search you with!).
 
OP
OP
Fiat Fan

Fiat Fan

Speedy Sei Driver
Joined
Mar 2, 2005
Messages
277
Location
Crewe
paulbfd said:
Sure do

www.cfsnet.co.uk

You need resin, catalyst (or hardener), 600g Chopped Strand Mat (CSM), a syringe, mixing sticks (like lollipop sticks), mixing buckets, a roller to get the air bubbles out, some acetone to clean up uncured resin, a load of masking tape, some release wax and some surgical gloves (the ones they butt search you with!).

i see what you mean when you say expensive now(n)
 

chaos

Ah. Not good...
Joined
Jan 16, 2005
Messages
10,602
paulbfd said:
Sure do

www.cfsnet.co.uk

You need resin, catalyst (or hardener), 600g Chopped Strand Mat (CSM), a syringe, mixing sticks (like lollipop sticks), mixing buckets, a roller to get the air bubbles out, some acetone to clean up uncured resin, a load of masking tape, some release wax and some surgical gloves (the ones they butt search you with!).

I got away with using:

Resin & Catalyst (bought from Halfords - its about 6 or 7 quid for 500ml worth of activated resin IIRC)
Old clean material (works surprisingly well when cut up IME) if you don't have any CSM available
1 mixing bucket with 'lollipop stick'
Plenty of newspaper
1 brush - you only need one brush IME and you don't need acetone/cellulose thinners ;)
Masking tape
Rubber gloves

I think that's it :)
 
Joined
Apr 28, 2005
Messages
3,262
Location
West Yorkshire
But, to do a sub enclosure you'll need about 10 times as much resin and catalyst. Unless it's for the Egg Card hamsters car! LOL!

I used over 5kg and 4-6 layers of 600g CSM. You really should be using CSM if your doing a moulded sub box.

When allowing each layer to set, that's when your brush / lollipop stick / bucket sets too! The acetone is to clean the roller used to remove air bubbles - my roller is now rendered useless as I forgot to clean it :bang:

Next box I do will practically be for nowt - got given 20kg resin and catalyst from a company we deal with at work!
 
OP
OP
Fiat Fan

Fiat Fan

Speedy Sei Driver
Joined
Mar 2, 2005
Messages
277
Location
Crewe
sounds like it mite be a good idea to take a trip down to halfords
cheers (y)
 
OP
OP
Fiat Fan

Fiat Fan

Speedy Sei Driver
Joined
Mar 2, 2005
Messages
277
Location
Crewe
paulbfd said:
But, to do a sub enclosure you'll need about 10 times as much resin and catalyst. Unless it's for the Egg Card hamsters car! LOL!

I used over 5kg and 4-6 layers of 600g CSM. You really should be using CSM if your doing a moulded sub box.

When allowing each layer to set, that's when your brush / lollipop stick / bucket sets too! The acetone is to clean the roller used to remove air bubbles - my roller is now rendered useless as I forgot to clean it :bang:

Next box I do will practically be for nowt - got given 20kg resin and catalyst from a company we deal with at work!

or maybe not, lol i could get one tub to practice with then if i think i can do it i will order some :D
 
Top