sub question

Currently reading:
sub question

if i was to buy a sub from halfords, how much would they charge me to have it fitted?

im not clever enough to fit one myself :(

oh if it helps i have a 53 plate punto active

with a kenwood head unit

most halfords wont fit a sub and amp for you as it takes to much time and effort tbh, i speak from experience my friend works for them:)

Where is it you live, if its not too far i could do it for you cheap, and what sort of sub amp do you want because halfords are expensive i could probably get it cheaper aswell.

TBH the hardest bit is fitting the power cable through the bulkhead. All the rest is simply screwing/plugging wires. You should also consider fixing the sub box and amp down.

i live in melton mowbray, kinda in between leicester n' nottingham

i do know some ppl who might be able to help with me, but id rather a pro did it tbh, i have a knack of getting things wrong

i just wanted a sub with a built in amp, just something to add a bit of oooofffmm to my music in the car.

the stardard speakers arnt bad just distord wiv bass so i figured a sub would maybe take some of the bass away from the main speakers n improve sound quality.

sounds harder then i originally thought :(

would it all the the same if i was to buy a fiat punto sub off ebay, is the wirering already in the boot for that, or is it all the same? Its an active punto btw.

Thats a long way from me.
I dont think that the punto's had the wiring loom installed unless the sub was fitted to the car.
Have you looked at the guide because it really is easy to fit a sub and amp in the punto. The hardest thing that i found was running the RCA connectors to the headunit but im sure that some genius on the forum has found an easy way through.
The problem that you have with distorting standard speakers running off the headunit will always be there because you have nothing to tell the speakers not to play top end bass that they cant handle. Even if you put an active sub you would probably have to set the bass on the headunit to get the best sound.

so, the cheapest, fastest and easyest option would be to simply change the current speakers to a better quality set and not have a sub?

i had no idea how much wiring/fiddly a sub would be to do, shall still pop down halfords to see what they charge tho.

ok since i wrk in ripspeed/halfords, the charge is usually a flat £65, i have heard other stores chargind £40 per hour, generaly the staff are dead on and you can pull a few strings
ive installed a few sound systems and the theory behind it is simple, so is attaching everything, the onli real difficulty is in making it all concealed. if your unit has a pre-out, attach the remote wire to the amp, a live feed coming from the battery (its a good idea to use an in-line fuse) and earth on something decent, then run auxilary connections from your headunit to the sub/amp and ur srtd
since ur unsure wat 2 do just get an ACTIVE sub and amp, saves you a lot of hassle

Last edited:
i wanted active, im guessing the passive subs arnt half as powerful? (guessing they dont need an amp as the run off the current supply?)

anyhows.... 65 flat rate aint bad.... hmmm might get more speakers to make the 65 quid more worth while :D

i wanted active, im guessing the passive subs arnt half as powerful? (guessing they dont need an amp as the run off the current supply?)

No, passive subs still need an amp, it's just that the amp is separate to the sub, whereas an active unit is an all in one.

no, you will always need to amp a sub, if you still get the same quality of amp and sub as an active pair the sound will be the same, but when you buy an active sub there already is am amp with it and its perfectly matched for it. since youre not too sure what youre doing its easier to just connect the wires to the in-built amp and the sub will work without having to figure out wiring between the sub and amp as well

Last edited:
ahhhhhh right, understood now

infact the "passive" was what i was looking for, i didnt really want loads of wires everywhere as i still want my boot to be functional.

ok so what ill need is a passive sub (sub and amp built into one) and some unlucky halfords man to fit it all for me for 65 quid lol

lol, ok in passive systems you will have to buy an amp, sub, wiring kit and an enclosure which is a lot more expensive and difficult to do, you can get small active fli or fusion subs in small enclosure with wiring kit and enclosure included plus wiring kit for bout 100
btw "active" is sub and amp built into one
"passive" is where you do it all seperatly

lol, ok in passive systems you will have to buy an amp, sub, wiring kit and an enclosure which is a lot more expensive and difficult to do

Not necessarily. If you did it all separately then there's only 2 more wires you'd have to wire in - the remote and the speaker wire. If you bought a prefab box then the sub would only need screwing in - it's only an extra 5 minutes work if that.

Back