strong smell of petrol

Currently reading:
strong smell of petrol

sharonbowen

hi,

I'm new to driving (not been able to afford a car in years!) new to Fiats (Cinquecento Sporting) and have new problems (as if life aint bad enough,and now I have wheels to deal with!!)
I began noticing a strong smell of petrol in the car about 2 week ago.
Sometimes when approaching my car in a carpark I can smell it before I see it!
Not good!
Theres never any sign of petrol on the floor of where I've parked.
Therefore I am assuming there isnt a leak as such!
Never had to do any car maintenance before so feel pretty 'virginesque'.
Worried about the twitching curtains as my car is parked in full view of neighbours while I am faffing under the bonnet etc without a clue!!!
Any ideas what could be the cause of the smell?
Directions of how to get there as well please.
I dont even know where to put water in!!!

Sharon

PS..Why does the smell of petrol make you hungry?
It is costing me a fortune! I take my 4 kids out and were all starving!
As soon as we smell petrol we have the munchies!

Welcome to F/Forum :wave: I think eating munchies is better that sniffing petrol :eek: but please get it checked out for yours and the childrens safety IE pull sleeping Husband out of his arm chair and head him in general direction of the car and if nessesary lift bonnet for him :p :D

ha ha PNL!!
Would be good idea but unfortunately for him he decided to leave me n his 4 wonderful kids for the single life!!(n)
I'm happy with that now tho plus he was never one to look under bonnet/diy/do gardening etc!(y)
I have conquered the latter two through years of experience of him sleeping on chair while I gave it some trial and error!
Dont fancy trial and error with a hunk of metal!!
I am learning things as I read these posts though to give me the confidence to look into things before getting ripped off!!.

Thanks AppleSei...I now have water in the car.Will need a funnel as quite tricky to aim for with my jug!!!!
Read the threads you posted and I will look into it to see if I can see the where the problem is before getting ripped off!!

FIXITAGAINTOMORROW!
I am in Bradford,West Yorkshire.

Since last night I think I have come to the conclusion that there is something amiss near the front end of the car.

Because...

I park in the same place everyday/night but today the bin men left my bin in my spot!!
Durr! How would I even notice a leak if car was on top of it!!
As I walked back to collect the bin I noticed a trail of rainbows glistening towards the kerb!!
I took notice of the starting point!
That must be petrol I thought.
Therefore it must be leaking while parked.
By looking at the road it looked like it started from further up than where the fuel tank would be (I am not dumb but surely the tank is under back seat area?!)
Think I need a cinq manual!!

To cut a long story short by the time I had dragged the wheelie bin up my steps (all 13 of them,poor me!:cry: )and put all shopping away etc a blanket of snow 2 inches deep had come down.
Cant look back at the alleged petrol leak now!!

Sharon

Ps..I am going to suggest to one of my kids that they become a mechanic!

If it is the fuel tank, the seis up to 2001 had a recall, due to the seams breaking and the fuel tank corroding easy. This is done free by fiat, however as you have a cinq, you might not be able to have this done for free

Sweet talk someone at your local tyre and exhaust place. Tell them you think there may be a leak on the exhaust and can they put it on a ramp to check it.

Then be sneaky and ask if he can tell where the leak is coming from while he's busy under there anyway :D

Well it would be just my luck to be the latter anyway!!!
My ex mother-in-law gave me the Cinq in January and she'd had it years so surely she would have had it sorted if it was re-called!!
But then maybe you are not notified personally(esp if not the 1st registered owner!) Its an M reg,not sure about previous owners.

Feel dumb asking these questions...
But is the fuel system a bit like a plumbing system.. as always in the pipes?
Therefore if it is a leak near the engine it will keep leaking till I am empty??!!

This may be the reason why I am using more petrol than I expected to!

Thanks fixitagaintomorrow,

Do know a friend of a friend of a friend who works at Kwik Fit!
Never thought of that before! Prob wouldnt dare though!
Ha,its at other side of town,he may get the wrong impression!!!

I read on a maestro forum (before finding this n joining) that you should put some cardboard under the car overnight then see if thats covered in petrol in the morn!
May help to pinpoint the source!
Will try it when snow goes!

Hi i just bought a punto n there is a strong smell of petrol too,womdder wot it is

Back