Technical Strange Judder/Vibration

Currently reading:
Technical Strange Judder/Vibration

djyeo

OK, Odd one for you all.

Symptom:

Judder/vibration/shudder coming from front end when under load (Accelerating/Decelerating whilst in gear), this came on suddenly and initially though it was road surface.

Action to date:

1 - Initially stopped and called breakdown, guy came, looked over and tested car, suspected engine/gearbox mount.

2 - Took car to local garage, explained issue and findings. They came back saying that all four wheels were distorted and the clutch needs replacing. I found this suspect as the vibration does not occur at speed if coasting (in neutral or have clutch pressed down).

3 - Went to kwikfit and they did a once over of the suspension and they could not see anything wrong, they suggested being it back in and sit it on a "Shake Plate".

Has anyone had any similar experiences? or can they suggest a fix for this?

So have had the clutch and flywheel replaced as the flywheel was pitted.

Unfortunately the judder is still there and is driving me nuts.

It has been mentioned that it could be an engine/gearbox mount.

Does this sound like a plausible cause?

Thanks

OK, so still no idea, one thing that was originally suggested was an engine Mount. I have had a look at the offside mount and can see a little oil leakage from it. If I put my finger inside and squeeze it squirts a little oil. I'm guessing this is not supposed to happen?

Oil leaking from engine mounts does mean it really needs changing but its almost certainly nothing to do with the initial issue. It will make the engine feel rougher and noisier from inside the cabin.

The suggestions re flywheel and drive shaft are the most likely culprits. Drive shafts can go suddenly and if you are on any rough roads this wont help. The symptoms usually start with a sort of wobbly feeling when under load and easing off when you lift off.

Best to get to the bottom of this as both suggested caused could get worse and end in dramtic failure which would then be very expensive to fix. Good luck. PS Do check your wheel nuts. It has been known..... Alloys need 90lb/ft.

Back