Technical Storing my B long-term while I go travelling?

Currently reading:
Technical Storing my B long-term while I go travelling?

In around 6 months I'm going to get myself some sunshine for a while by heading off to SE Asia - Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia etc. Barring any unforeseen circumstances I plan to be away for a year, maybe more.

In the meantime my B will be garaged at my Dad's place. What do I need to take into account? I know I'll have to SORN it, but what about preparing it for storage? Do I just stick a cover on it, get my Dad to turn it over once a month, then give it a full service when I get back??

Ta :)

The thread Al has pointed you to has lots of good info, but there are a few simple rules;

> full tank of fuel
> handbrake off and chocks under the wheels
> battery off
> bonnet, boot and doors slightly ajar (stops rubbers sticking and tearing)
> unless you can take the car for a good run don't start it and let is tick over for 10 mins every few weeks
> if its going to be stored in a garage either cover it with a nylon type cover or old bedsheet - DO NOT COVER IT WITH AN OUTDOOR COVER AS YOU MAY/WILL SUFFER FROM CONDENSATION!!

Hope this helps!

If its being stored in a nice dry warm ish garage, leave the windows cracked open, with the car covered with a breathable cover. If its damp I should leave everything shut, including vents to outside, and certainly dont leave it on stands, my dad did this for 6 months back in the 80s on a BMW M535i and the dampers were pretty much seized solid from being at full extension for so long and had to be replaced.

Do leave the tyres at high pressure, and if possible, push the car back and forth a few feet occasionally to prevent flatspotting.

Dont run the car 10-15 mins at a time though, damp in the exhaust, condensation everywhere, ruined fouled plugs bore wash etc etc can result, and make sure its layed up after a nice long run so the battery is charged, and everything cools and returns to its stand by position properly.

I would also say leave the battery disconnected as it wont be needed and when you return to it change the oil and filter before using it.

A good point......running the engine for only a few minutes will not get rid of any moisture in the exhaust and the condensation it creates is very acidic and will eat your exhaust from the inside. This also applies to those who use their cars for very short runs on a daily basis when the car never gets to full opperating temp.

Back