Technical Stop Start Story

Currently reading:
Technical Stop Start Story

Just goes to show 'Buyer Beware'. My wife's 500 Twinair Lounge 12 plate in white is in immaculate condition. Totally unmarked body and interior. 20,000 miles. FFSH. On paper it is a perfect buy. However, this car has been a fecking nightmare in terms of problems. I would not sell it to anyone I knew, or indeed to anyone on this forum.

:eek::eek::eek:!

Out of interest, what are you planning to replace it with?

Is yours the £30 RFL version? IMO that's the one to go for.

It certainly has more torque below 3000 than our 500.

Did you see David Bliss's rolling road comparison with the Euro6 1.2?

Nope, is the £110/£120 as it's the Dualogic Eleganza and they couldn't quite manage to get that in it would seem.

It's so poor IMO that if I was going for it or sisters old 2004 1.1 Active, I'd have the 1.1 Active any day. Right hoot to drive that was :)

Nope, is the £110/£120 as it's the Dualogic Eleganza and they couldn't quite manage to get that in it would seem.

It's so poor IMO that if I was going for it or sisters old 2004 1.1 Active, I'd have the 1.1 Active any day. Right hoot to drive that was :)

Sometimes small changes in specification can make huge changes in driveability. Just ask some of the folks who've recently bought a Euro6 1.2.

With the Euro 4 1.2 manual Eco Panda, Fiat seem to have got everything just right.

:eek::eek::eek:!

Out of interest, what are you planning to replace it with?

As, according to my wife, I am a certified lunatic, guess what??? A 500 Twinair 105.
My wife gave up on me years ago. Fiat bug defies all logic.
Lost count now of number of Fiat cars I have had since my 127 Palio. I gave up trying to sell that one and took it to an auction site. About six months later I received a cheque for about 300 quid, someone actually bought it.
It was my first Fiat, bought used, on the way home one of the front wheels came off. A Fiat Panda I bought new in 1987 takes the record for the worst ever car. I could write a book.

Get a multijet ;)

Nah, they're appearing to be a dog of an engine with the Timing Chain issues, can't get to anything easily in their compact engine bays, I now don't like the smell of Diesel since getting a Prius :ROFLMAO: and am paranoid about SS on a turbo'ed engine - and sister only drives about 6-7 miles each way to a from work :eek:

2012/'61 500 Lounge, 30k, Private Sale : TA £6605, 1.2 £6655.

Sorry you missed it - price seems about right.

I guess it also shows that a decent car priced sensibly will sell. Sadly there seem to be a lot of 500's advertised on AT & elsewhere that aren't priced sensibly.
i just went to get my fiat 500 1.4 dualogic valued with 100,000 kms on the clock. they said they would give me 6,500 euros cash for it. (5200 GBP)

Nah, they're appearing to be a dog of an engine with the Timing Chain issues, can't get to anything easily in their compact engine bays, I now don't like the smell of Diesel since getting a Prius :ROFLMAO: and am paranoid about SS on a turbo'ed engine - and sister only drives about 6-7 miles each way to a from work :eek:
relaxx mep you can always turn SS off when going for a 'spirited drive'!

relaxx mep you can always turn SS off when going for a 'spirited drive'!

Nope, as isn't going to be my car so I'll have no control over it, or the wear to date by the previous owner using SS on it. The turbo being starved of oil so frequently with SS is a asking for major issues later down the line IMO.

Nope, as isn't going to be my car so I'll have no control over it, or the wear to date by the previous owner using SS on it. The turbo being starved of oil so frequently with SS is a asking for major issues later down the line IMO.

Our mini is a diesel with stop start, by the time that would be an issue we certainly won't own it any more, however my driving style means the stop start is never used anyway, basically at a red light I will put my foot on the clutch, leave it in gear and when the light turns green lift the clutch and away I go, stop start required you to put the car in neutral and lift the clutch, then when you depress the clutch again it re-starts the engine.

It drives my misuse mad not using the stop start but I find it a pain in the arse, there is a button to turn it off, but it's one of those things that turns its self back on every time you start the car.

Just a small update to my "story".

New battery arrived this morning.
It should have arrived yesterday, but the delivery driver couldn't find us. :mad:
Satnav?

Any road up, it's now on charge and when fully up, I'll let it rest for a couple of hours then fit it and go for a ride.

The car hasn't been driven for nearly 48hrs and the the old battery is now reading 11.7volts.

Fingers crossed for the new battery,
Mick.

Just a small update to my "story".

New battery arrived this morning.
It should have arrived yesterday, but the delivery driver couldn't find us. :mad:
Satnav?

Any road up, it's now on charge and when fully up, I'll let it rest for a couple of hours then fit it and go for a ride.

The car hasn't been driven for nearly 48hrs and the the old battery is now reading 11.7volts.

Fingers crossed for the new battery,
Mick.

Everything's crossed here too Mick!

Our mini is a diesel with stop start, by the time that would be an issue we certainly won't own it any more, however my driving style means the stop start is never used anyway, basically at a red light I will put my foot on the clutch, leave it in gear and when the light turns green lift the clutch and away I go, stop start required you to put the car in neutral and lift the clutch, then when you depress the clutch again it re-starts the engine.

You leave it in gear with your foot on clutch at a red light?
My mrs. does that- in her car I just sit there and say nothing.
If it's my car she's driving she knows not to by now, but usually forgets and I have to gently remind her she's wearing my clutch out.

You leave it in gear with your foot on clutch at a red light?
My mrs. does that- in her car I just sit there and say nothing.
If it's my car she's driving she knows not to by now, but usually forgets and I have to gently remind her she's wearing my clutch out.

It won't wear the clutch plates, but it will wear the thrust bearing (n).

Replacing a worn, noisy thrust bearing was the first job I ever did on a car (Austin 1100 c. 1972), so leaving the car in gear when stopped for more than a few seconds is a big no-no for me too.

The fitment of S/S makes it tempting to leave the clutch down when stopped (to keep the engine running); I wonder if we'll be seeing a spate of thrust bearing failures on down the line.

Last edited:
It won't wear the clutch plates, but it will wear the thrust bearing (n).

Replacing a worn, noisy thrust bearing was the first job I ever did on a car (Austin 1100 c. 1972), so leaving the car in gear for more than a few seconds is a big no-no for me too.

The fitment of S/S makes it tempting to leave the clutch down when stopped (to keep the engine running); I wonder if we'll be seeing a spate of thrust bearing failures on down the line.

All my driving life I've tended to keep the clutch depressed during brief stops, only dropping it into neutral and releasing the clutch if it appears I'm going to be there some time (especially at local level crossings if I happen to get a three-train wait). Yet I've never had a thrust-bearing issue, not something I've ever even considered. Do you think the 500 might be more susceptible?

All my driving life I've tended to keep the clutch depressed during brief stops, only dropping it into neutral and releasing the clutch if it appears I'm going to be there some time (especially at local level crossings if I happen to get a three-train wait). Yet I've never had a thrust-bearing issue, not something I've ever even considered. Do you think the 500 might be more susceptible?

No more than any other car.
It's just bad practice, and WILL cause premature wear over the long term.

Yet the manufacturers seem to dismiss this issue, citing modern designs, water cooling, etc. With urban driving there is maybe less of a risk but, after a motorway run, my Audi A1 is often toasty enough for rain to evaporate off the bonnet yet SS will engage immediately. Is the car clever enough to monitor temperatures and disengage SS until the turbo has cooled down? Apparently, but I don't really want to find out.

Back