Currently reading:
Technical Stop Start Issues - Fiat 500

Have you met the
'Conditions of operation'

Engine temp.. @90'c

Aircon...off

Headlights ..off

Other electrical loads feature heavily

My 2013 punto needed the seatbelt plugged in before starting ;)

I had 1600 errors stored for S-S
Have you met the
'Conditions of operation'

Engine temp.. @90'c

Aircon...off

Headlights ..off

Other electrical loads feature heavily

My 2013 punto needed the seatbelt plugged in before starting ;)

I had 1600 errors stored for S-S :eek:

Hiya,

I bought 1.2 C lounge 4 months ago and I only knew today how the S&S works. Basically, S&S always has always been activated, no warning light on the dash board. But today, after having thermostat housing replaced (€130 in Dublin), I realised that the S showed up when I stopped at the light then disappeared when I started to move. It was like a whole new thing to us. Outside temp at that time was 24’C, roof and window opened, no a/c.
We stopped for dinner and on the journey home, we realised that S&S has stopped working. As I mentioned, no warning light, I made sure S&S is connected.
It doesn’t make much difference to me but my partner was fascinated with that. He thought that the engine control unit has some faults?

Have you any thoughts on that?

Hiya,

I bought 1.2 C lounge 4 months ago and I only knew today how the S&S works. Basically, S&S always has always been activated, no warning light on the dash board. But today, after having thermostat housing replaced (€130 in Dublin), I realised that the S showed up when I stopped at the light then disappeared when I started to move. It was like a whole new thing to us. Outside temp at that time was 24’C, roof and window opened, no a/c.
We stopped for dinner and on the journey home, we realised that S&S has stopped working. As I mentioned, no warning light, I made sure S&S is connected.
It doesn’t make much difference to me but my partner was fascinated with that. He thought that the engine control unit has some faults?

Have you any thoughts on that?

Hi

If it worked briefly.. After a longer run

I would think it's just down to battery voltage

My 1st car with S. S worked only after 2 hour trips... as the battery got tired

It was still in there 6 years later... Just wouldn't allow S. S

My 2018 car would do 15 second shut offs (pointless.... ) a new battery made that 3 minutes+

Is it worth replacing the battery... Personally I don't think so

(that 2018 battery Is now on a 2013 car.. And doesn't do S. S)

Hi

If it worked briefly.. After a longer run

I would think it's just down to battery voltage

My 1st car with S. S worked only after 2 hour trips... as the battery got tired

It was still in there 6 years later... Just wouldn't allow S. S

My 2018 car would do 15 second shut offs (pointless.... ) a new battery made that 3 minutes+

Is it worth replacing the battery... Personally I don't think so

(that 2018 battery Is now on a 2013 car.. And doesn't do S. S)
That

Rasputin has S/S that has only half worked for over a year. It starts the engine if you stall it, etc... but it doesn't turn it off.

The last time it worked fully was when I replaced the clutch and stuck the battery onto a bench charger. After that, it was fine for 3 or 4 days and then it reverted back to moody, presumably as the charge "boost" wore off. Then the S/S continued to start the car if I stalled it, but would no longer activate to turn the engine off.

But... a few days ago I took the beast on a long run in the 32C weather.. and the next day, just out of the blue, the S/S turned off the engine while I was in traffic. It's been working fully again for the last three days.

I expect the extreme summer heat is increasing the battery's internal resistance so more juice is passing through the battery condition sensor (since a charged battery also has more internal resistance, so the condition sensor is getting a false reading). I expect the S/S will revert to half working once the battery gets cooler.

Ralf S.

Back