General stone chip protection

Currently reading:
General stone chip protection

watty2000

watty2000
I am about to take the leap into the unknown :eek: .I am about to use my b on a daily basis. I was going to buy a cheap run about for six months but decided to use the money to upgrade my b (y). I want to know has anyone spent money on the protective film you can have fitted and if anyone knows the pros and cons are.

watty

I use mine as a daily driver and its not looking too bad but its inevitable that I have picked up a few stone chips along the way. The stone chip protection film came up as a discussion at the Nottingham meeting last month, I don't think that anyone has done this yet but I am sure if you make a success of it we will all follow (y)

Cheers Lee

I had a look into prices and it looks like about £400-500 so I am trying to work out whats cheaper film or chips away :cry:. Anyway why are you on this so early I have an excuse I am skiving at work :D.

Watty

If you are going to spend that kind of money on chips away you'd probably be as well going for a full respray. Partial respray could be an option if it is mostly the front end.

i've seen a few cars with it around, and the problem is: you always see the film, esspecially after a few months as there is always some dirt buildup on the edges

and i assume if you take it back off after a few seasons, there'll be a colour difference in your paint... but that is just an assumption.

I think its a good idea but was looking at my b this afternoon and am not sure how you could blend it with the body lines. I used to have a classic '69 VW Beetle (actually quite a few) when I was younger and had a 'bra' for the front of it, only used to put it on for M'way trips but it worked a treat, shame you cannot get one for the b................

eagleday_1990_27207626

Nope, it does not look good but if you had to hoon it up a m'way and back its worth putting on - for example my run to Torquay and back last week, most of the time was spent on the A303 stuck behind truck's spitting up stones and grit off the road!

Back