General Stilo update

Currently reading:
General Stilo update

James M

Established member
Due to work and a few other commitments my posts have been err... thin on the ground of late :eek:

You may remember though me mentioning paintwork problems I found around the boot handle on my car.

Well after much chasing round after the Fiat warranty manager, Bob Robertson (you know who you are and, yes, you have a funny name), I finally managed to get the ignorant g*t (which believe me he is) to look at my car and approve a repair (y)

No one has any idea how it has happened, and Fiat say it is an isolated occurance, I will get photo's up soon though so you can see what I'm talking about.

This really has hacked me off though, I really didn't think I was going to get it sorted and I was at one point seriously looking to just chop the car in. In the end this Bob guy turned out to be everything I expected, I even had to go and drive my car from one end of the Fiat dealer to the other because he wouldn't move to look at it!

Anyhow, this solved I put my car in to have the front pads changed. The garage rings me and says I need new discs as the old ones are rotten, being overly suspicious I was about to ask them to keep the old ones for me to look at when the guy got in first and said he wanted to SHOW me the old ones.

On inspecting the discs, what has basically happened is that the inner plate has rotted, while the outer plate is shiney and good for another set of pads the inner is, frankly, shocking.

I'm going to be taking photo's to send Fiat for an explaination and when I do I'll post them up here too.

Anyway, all's well with the car for now, and its place on the drive is once again safe (y)

How's everyone else doing?

custard boy said:
very strange to go on the inside like that

Exactly mate!

It's done just under 30k, but the pads weren't quite worn out even, though they were well past there best.

The guy who did the work said he'd never seen it happen like that before.

Had to change my pads and discs on 30K too. They were in terrible condition like yours!

Also have had a few Laquer problems with my Stilo too!!!! rear and front bumper!

just have to expect it! still love it though!

had to change the front disk and pads too, at 34k condition wise they where ok I guess, but they had a big lip to them and causing them to squeek while moving.

That's just it, its not really the problems which are the problem, it's the way Fiat deal with them!

I was very close to chopping it in this time, I was going through a very busy time and chasing Bob Robertson several times a week for a month was something I could have managed without!

Maybe it's time we made Fiat realise that it's their attitude thats gonna lose them loyal customers. I'll look into doing some kind of online petition when I get some spare time. If we can get a few thousand people involved in letting Fiat know they are unhappy then it may have an effect.

I had to get the pads and discs changed at 40K miles and my delaer was genuinely shocked that the discs needed replacing that soon.

On the subject of the paint defect, is it around the lock area? I had paint bubbling/rust around the lock and after much argument with Fiat UK (after the dealer fobbed me off for 5 months) it was finally done under warranty. it needed a letter threatening them with legal action first though!

30-40K isn't out of the ordinary for discs (from any major make of car) to be honest,dont forget in the case of safety if in doubt replace it.
I have come across the paint problems on the boot handle of a few times,once it was obviously the customers ring(s)that were damaging the paintwork (i'm not for one second saying this is the case for your car)when opening the boot.Obviously this has to be rectified as soon as possible.
James...change your dealer by the sound of it! Also Fiat are undergoing many changes,it's not a excuse but transitions take time but hopefully it will be of benefit to us all in the future :)

TI... I wouldn't mind if the discs had worn out as expected, but they have actually rotted on the inside, I've sent the pics to FIAT, I'll try to get them up here ASAP so you can see what I mean.

As for the bootlid paint, its not on the actual handle, rather the bootlid itself where the handle meets, again I'll try to get pics up asap.

In general though, I'm not overly impressed with the cars paintwork, it seems very soft and seem to pick up stone chips much more easily than any other car I've owned. I had a metallic courtesy car, and the paint on that seemed much harder and better finished :confused:

What? And they just happen to have a set in every size :confused:

I'm not stupid you know, I have a masters in engineering! :D

No, they are definitely my discs, and I kept them in case Fiat want to examine them.

Back