Stilo tyre wear POLL

Currently reading:
Stilo tyre wear POLL

Just noticed this happening the other day. I'm back in the 'who's fault' wrangle as my car had a front wheel and tyre replaced after it was hit at four weeks old[:(!]

I'll let you know how I get on.

Stilo TURBO!!!!(diesel)

Fronts wearing inside, rears on the outside. Been to the incompetant dealers 5 times, get fobbed off every time. Bought the car brand new a year ago.
The car was an absolute nightmare in the snow, now I know why.

Yep on my third set now on my Abarth and I must admit I am sick now of being told 'It is the way you drive dear ' ! ( I am female by the way if you hadn't already sussed !! LOL ) :D

Anyway would love to know what dealership the lady in What Car mag went to as we have chucked the mag out by mistake.My lovely dealer is denying that there is a prob and yes there is a mod but we will have to pay unless we can come up with the relevent evidence that Fiat are admiting liability !! I have been very patient as my car has been in 8 times for some major warranty work so we guess it was a Friday afternoon off the production line car !! ;)

Lucy

It is on 23K now :eek:

Last edited:
CV53 Stilo 3 door 1.2 - 49 mpg!! - 11,670 miles from new
Down to the carcass on the inside edges of both front tyres; I'm off to the supplying dealer tomorrow to see what's what!!

Phyrefly

The thing is, it's not just about tyre wear, is it? For tyres to wear like that there must be something seriously wrong. Something that will affect handling, steering and ROADHOLDING.
I had a nightmare in the snow last winter, and that was before the tyres had worn much. If I get the same thing this year, and I'll be out testing the car at the first signs of snow, I'm geting the AA to drop off the car at the dealers, with orders to sort it sharpish or give me a new car.
Fitting new tyres is just like papering over the cracks.

The saga continues.............The service manager more or less implied that as the car had done over 10,000 miles it was unlikely that Fiat would change the tyres FOC. He did, however and at my urging, telephone somewhat at Fiat (I presume) and he agreed to take the car in on 16/09/2004 to check the alignment. He offered to change the tyres the next day (09/09/2004) at cost price to him for the tyres but unfortunately he could not source identical tyres (Dunlop SP Sports 220), I therefore declined his "offer" and took the car to KwikFit and fitted a pair of Dunlops (balanced but no wheel alignment) as I was unwilling to use the car with illegal tyres for a week.
So, today the alignment check was done at the supplying dealer, and as their worksheet stated, adjustments were made "as per stilo mod". This would indicate to me that there is indeed a "problem" with some Stilo's wheel alignment and accordingly I have now e-mailed Fiat asking for reimbursement for the cost of the tyres.................... I am now awaiting their reply and will keep you all posted................. :confused:
Oh, since the tracking was done the car does indeed seem to corner with less understeer!!........... funny, that doesn't surprise me at all :p

Phyrefly

A piccy of one of the offending tyres

Attachments

• DSC00005.jpg
    DSC00005.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 53
I don't see why the milage matters. For the tyres to wear tlike that there has to be a problem. They didn't wear like that because of the miles covered. I'm having the same problem.
I told them about the problem at it's first service (12,000 miles) and now I've done 20 and I've had no money, no tyres, and worst of all, I swapped the worst tyre with the spare and now it's going the same way, despite the car being "fixed" .

Any one with this problem,who does not get their tyres changed for free should insist to see the Fiat rep who visits a dealership every month.They tend to change them if you have done no more than 12000 mile.

Wow!

That's serious tyre wear!

Mine wore on the insides but not to that extent.

I took mine to the local Apex tyre centre, they have a super dooper tracking machine, it does four wheel alignment and it's pukka, it cost £30 a go mind you, but then this machine cost them £280,000!

No problems since having this done, touch wood!

**UPDATE**

My dealer phoned on friday and said that Fiat will offer NOTHING due to the milage. You've seen the pics, the tyres were baldy at 12,000 miles it's supposed to have been fixed twice. The tyres on the front now are showing the same signs.

I'm sending a solicitors letter to Fiat head office.

:-(

Do it...................

do it, do it, do it!!!!!

Get a signed petition from all the Stilo owners on here (with names and registrations) who have had similar problems and send it in with your letter to back up your claims!

MMmmmmmmmmmmmm, Fiat e-mailed me back advising me to take the car to the Fiat Customer Care Manager at the supplying dealer, I did so, turned out the Customer Care Manager was the same Service Manager I saw before. Got no joy out of him!! except a load of BS........... he implied the car was: 1, heavy, 2, they all do that these days, 3, might be the way I drive, 4, we haven't seen many like this (sort of conflicts with 2), 5, Dunlops are not very good, etc........... all flannel of course.
So I've packaged everything up and sent it to Fiat (5 days ago) and still waiting for a reply.......... if still no joy, I think I'll send everything to What Car and see what they can do. And if still no joy, the Stilo is going and no more Fiats ever............. Hey, I was checking E-Bay yesterday for average Stilo prices, etc......... one Stilo, 13,000 miles with new front tyres.......... Another Stilio in the Tesco car park...... identical wear on its front tyres

And so the saga continues.................. (n) :confused: (n)

Back