General Stilo Schumacher No. 94

Currently reading:
General Stilo Schumacher No. 94

MrSingh

Hi All. My first post here.

Does anyone know anything about this car?

How bad can the power steering issue be?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Hi All. My first post here.

Does anyone know anything about this car?

How bad can the power steering issue be?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Hi, Welcome to the FF.

There's some history of previous owners of the car on the last page of this thread: https://www.fiatforum.com/threads/have-you-got-a-schumacher.68887/

You may be able to contact previous owners southlog and/or Benwillfixit79 for further information about the car.

The steering is electric.. so it's either an electrical/interface issue or a mechanical issue.

Electrical issues might become interesting to trace, although a problem on the Body Control Module etc. should be repairable by a good ECU repair place.

If the problem is mechanical and needs parts, then it'll be more interesting since the 2.4 engine may have different parts compared to the bulk of the Stilo range and if it's not fixable (although nearly anything is fixable if you have enough time/money) then you may struggle to find a spare part. If the steering rack is the same as the 1.9 diesel for instance, then you'll find plenty around. If it's unique to the 2.4, then it's rocking horses and shovels.

Ralf S.

Hi there. This is my Stiletto (as named by my five year old niece).

I bought Stiletto from a fellow forum member with the intention of doing a minor cosmetic restoration and a few shows but I hit a pothole. The car was fine until I restarted the engine.

No Power Steering.
ESP failure.
ASR failure.
Power Steering failure.

My OBD code reader could not find any fault. I fitted new earth straps, nope. New battery, nope. Went somewhere that had a better code reader...

C1117 steering angle sensor.

...now with older cars the steering angle sensor is the little plastic doughnut that sits behind the wheel. With the Stilo it's integrated with the control module that sits under the power steering motor.

I went to every parts supplier I know and got the usual...

"Oh your car's over ten years old. Good luck PEASANT!"

...responses.

Contacted TRW the company that made the module in the first place. Nope. No longer suppled and can not be made to order.

As a last ditch effort I called my local Fiat dealership.

Are you sitting comfortably.

£1,793.93 +VAT and £500 minimum to fit it.

Next I found a 39,000 mile Stilo Abarth for £1,000 with no MOT. Price dropped to £700 so I bought it. Thinking that this one would fail the MOT get me through a charity track day and be a parts donor the daft thing passed with advisories for a sticky rear caliper and tyre. I replaced the rear calipers, fitted EBC yellow stuff pads, drilled and grooved discs and a set of Zestino tyres...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/frankhall/albums/72177720297598466

While I'm looking into alternatives for the GP the Abarth has taken over daily driver duties including a nine hour run to Birmingham and back to collect a gearbox for Randy Pobst. :)

If Stiletto sells first I'll use the money to help the Abarth handle better, if the Abarth sells I'll use the money to repair the GP

Before the pothole the GP was one of the best all round cars I have ever owned. The Abarth did pretty well on track considering, held up and kept up with some serious machinery as well as gerting me there and back without fault.

I would rather not sell either but I no longer have driveway space to justify owning two cars.

The steering angle sensor is fitted in the multi function column switch. The sensor for your car may be a different part number to the Stilo JTD one in my picture.

Attachments

• Steering Angle Sensor.JPG
    Steering Angle Sensor.JPG
    737.8 KB · Views: 42
The steering angle sensor is fitted in the multi function column switch. The sensor for your car may be a different part number to the Stilo JTD one in my picture.
Thank you. I'll look into that. The column has to come off anyway to change the motor.

OK probably too late now, but, if you have evidence of the pothole by way of photos and measurements, and the Fiat estimate, the Local Council is liable for damage to cars etc caused by 'their' potholes and will pay for the repairs.

OK probably too late now, but, if you have evidence of the pothole by way of photos and measurements, and the Fiat estimate, the Local Council is liable for damage to cars etc caused by 'their' potholes and will pay for the repairs.
Yeah, the highways come under Norfolk County Council and if you live more than three miles outside of Norwich you don't exist.
I spoke to them anyway and the power steering is considered a fragile component so is not covered. Having got nowhere I reported it on a generic pot hole awareness website and at least that motivated a repair to the road.
I spoke with my insurance company and their attitude was that potholes are basically an act of God and not their problem.

But upon this very day I bring tidings of joy and wonderment.

I've fitted a used power steering module and the ASR and ESP warnings have gone. I have power steering but the warning is still on the dash so I need to get that reset. 😉

She can't be reset until tomorrow. Has quite a bit if dust where she's been stood so I'm off to the car wash.

Now do I remove the advert and keep her now she's fixed or let those who have expressed interest know and ask for market value?

The reset didn't work. We tried to calibrate the replacement module several times but there was a "memory problem".
The power steering works perfectly and I've put a couple of hundred miles on the car without incident.
Also gave Stiletto a polish...
IMG_20220414_172434_5.jpg

... according to my MOT guy the warning light would be an advisory as it works but it's discretionary.

Well the GP is at a new home in Coventry.
I decided to drive there and take the train home. With just three miles to go I get an alternator failure warning and the power steering shuts down again. I gave the new owner £250 for an alternator and belts.

It was a brilliant car when it worked. A flipping mare of the pile of crap when it went wrong. I have mixed feelings about it. Sorry to see it go but glad it's gone. The new owner is planning a two year long restoration. More than enough time to iron the kinks out.

Last edited:
Back