General Stilo Radio Removal

Currently reading:
General Stilo Radio Removal

Do you need help unlocking your radio?
Get your code instantly using our radio unlock service 🔓🎶
Re: Radio Removal Keys

you need a tool number 1860897000 this would remove the radio from the fiat marea but i dont know where you can get them anybody got any idea's:cool:

I've got the proper removal pins, but the swines won't go far enough in to engage the removal mecahnism. I even tried belting them with a hammer but they still won't go in properly. ARGH! :mad: Might see if my neighbour's got a rubber mallet......

Any tips for getting the things to engage properly? Might try dipping them in washing up liquid......:eek:

Well be careful because the pins probably have gone in far enough, they only need to go in a couple of inches (50mm) to release the catches. The problem is that unit sticks to the soft plastic dashboard and can take a lot of careful levering and prising to the sides before it will release

A 5p length of ordinary welding rod cut into 4 pieces each 6in long will do the job absolutely fine

Last edited:

Ah, thanks! The pins are about 50% submerged into the holes, so I thought they weren't in far enough as the radio simply won't budge. I'll have another go tonight at wiggling them about and will desist from belting them with my hammer!

I have a replacement Visteon CD unit in hand (finally bagged one on ebay), and put the keys down through the holes on that so that I could see how far they were going. The same happened - they go about 50% of the way in, and I don't see the ends poking out anywhere. It looked to me like they weren't going in far enough to engage the grooved-looking retaining clips which look they they would need to be pushed back in order to release a fitted unit from its berth. It really looked like they would be doing absolutely no good in a fitted unit as they just sit in small black plastic tubes which don't reach as far as what looks like the retaining clips.

All very odd.

One other question - when the removal keys are in place, should they catch hold of the unit, and then you pull on them to take the unit out, or do you just insert the keys then grab the body of the unit to remove it?

Last edited:

Finally got the thing out after using the biggest screwdriver I have as a lever, and also pushing the unit from the back after removing the glovebox lining. Thanks for all the tips, I now have my CD player in place at last. Yippee.

Great stuff. It really sticks the first time you remove it though doesn't it

To quote Blackadder, it was the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun. :D

I was getting quite worried that I would end up damaging the dash, but I managed not to in the end.

I hope never have to remove the CD head unit now I've got it in.

I got the actual pins too and they did **** all. Took it to Halfords, they came out with 4 bicycle wheel spokes, stuck them in a good 3 inches and it came out easy as anything.

Last edited:
Hello every one…..
Ok.. This is how it works. To remove the standard stereo you first need to insert the two removal applicators, in to the four holes. It is advisable to use heavy duty removal tools as the cheap nasty ones just don’t seem to do the job. Once you have done this, the trick is to firstly lift the whole unit from the bottom and gently edge it out. There are two clips on the top of the unit that secure the stereo in place. By lifting out the bottom you loosen these clips, you then have to prise out the top of the unit. I use a metal ruler and then found the clips to be 4cm in from both ends of the unit. When to hear the loud click from both clips at the top of the unit, the stereo is free to remove.
I hope this helps you all, and all that read this. Any other questions about any fiat car problems please ask.
Thanks.
Huggie39

To quote Blackadder, it was the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun. :D

I was getting quite worried that I would end up damaging the dash, but I managed not to in the end.

I hope never have to remove the CD head unit now I've got it in.

Really glad I came across this thread - I got my removal keys from demonaudio and (see the link - part number 'PC5-83'). I was stuck when the stupid stereo removal keys wouldn't release the radio though.

Having read this I formulated a cunning plan... how cunning you say? Well... a good bit of brute force and ignorance did the trick (y) I tried to be careful though and used even pressure on the release keys whilst pushing from behind the glove!

So thank you FF!

Hi everyone. Wanted to clarify something before changing mine. If i removed my headunit and put in an aftermarket one - if i was to put it back in when selling the car, would I need a radio code, since I don't seem to have one? My battery has been removed before for a couple of weeks and forunately i didn't need a code then..

Thanks

After trying so many times with the standard radio release keys I had no luck.
Now after fiddling I have figured the best way to remove the radio.

The standard two prong keys are actually too thick (diameter), so the best thing I found to use would be a 2mm diameter or less allen (hex) key. The keys I used were 75mm long and you can put them in each hole one by one and keep pulling the unit from the front, but I would advise using 4 at a time so all the catches inside the unit are unclipped.
I don't know why the visteon radio has a slightly different spec for the release keys and I think it is a bit silly but hopefully this should help all those in need.
Thanks!

Hello and thanks for all the info spread upon the thread...

However, my Stilo doesn't have the four holes... What to do in this case ? ^^

TY !

What type of radio do you have? Original (Connect Nav), or replacement? Connect Nav has two holes next to CD, others may have different style. Picture may be helpful.

Thank you for your answer - it's my girlfriend's car... I asked her if she would see the holes and she replied "no" - I then asked for a picture for you and well... turns out the holes are there ! :bang::bang::bang:

So yeah it's totally feasible :)

a.jpeg

Is it the "fiat stilo visteon" ?

Next time I'll check it out myself :cry::slayer:

So what would I need to replace it with a 1-DIN radio player ? If I get this
facade1.jpg

And put a 1DIN radio player in it... do I need any cables ? Other than the ones I already have ? :p

In the end it would look like this
autoradio1.png

THANK YOU :worship:

Last edited:
That is the frame you need. Don't buy one that's two pieces, it does not fit. You would need cable from ingition to start radio automaticaly. Or you can connect red and yellow cables from the radio and turn it on and off manually. You can get ignition cable from lighter, or under steering wheel, there are guides in guide section.
Btw why do you need to change the radio? You can buy box with AUX, microSD and USB for much cheaper than whole stereo + frame. And it does not require any modifications, just plug and play. In my opinion it's the best way if you don't want a 2din with big screen.

Hey !

I wanted to replace the radio with something that you can plug your USB/microSD into. Something 'cleaner' than using the AUX plug - but the fact that there's a plug and play solution interests me (a lot) ^^ I've seen some guy use a https://www.amazon.fr/Yatour-YT-M06-BTM-adaptateur-mains-libres/dp/B00DJ4OP8M

but the thing kinda looked like... hmm not nice to look at, not convenient although totally working :p

Can you link me one of those plug'n'play box you're talking about please ?

Thank you for answering, I appreciate :)

Last edited:
Do you need help unlocking your radio?
Get your code instantly using our radio unlock service 🔓🎶
Back