Technical Stilo jtd driveshaft removal.

Currently reading:
Technical Stilo jtd driveshaft removal.

kernowstilo

hello everyone, Some advice please. I'm stuck. I am replacing my drivers side drive shaft, the complete drive shaft.On a 2004 stilo jtd 115

The hub nut( 36mm) is off, the ball joint and wishbone disconnected and I thought it was going easy. Now I've got to the 3 retaining nuts that hold the inner section of the drive shaft to the diff? I guess thats what it is. And I guess I need to remove this the get the inner section off.

Anyway how do I get those nuts off, there doesn't seem to be enough room to get a socket on straight and I've round one of the nuts already.....the problems begin. They seem really tight. Has anyone done this job, what tool did you use?

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

Hi again, So I have had a bit more of a look at the drive shaft and I see from the replacement part that 2 out of 3 nuts are welded on so must come off from the inaccessible side somehow. I'm stumped. If anyone has a guide on what needs to come off to take the drivers side inner drive shaft out please share it, I've trawled google and alfa websites and youtube but can't find anything. Is the Stilo more difficult than most or am I missing something obvious?

the liquid grease had leaked from the tripod joint and there is alot of wear inside the cup so I need to replace this part, not just the outer drive shaft unfortunately.

thanks for any advice.

Hi. From memory I think they have a type of reverse circlip on the end in the gearbox, if I have the right car what needs to happen is constant pull pressure and several taps with a hammer.
Be aware you will lose the gearbox oil when the shaft is removed so either drain it or have a container ready when you pull it.
I clamped two pairs of mole grips tightly near the wheel end of the shaft get someone to pull hard and you hit the mole grips with the hammer this will squeeze the clip together and allow the shaft to come out.
If you have the new shaft you should be able to see the clip in question on the splines, hope I am thinking of the right car I work on many different models so I could be getting mixed up.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Back