Technical Stilo 1.9 JTD What's this box....

Currently reading:
Technical Stilo 1.9 JTD What's this box....

Geoff2

Hi all - Fiat Stilo 1.9 JTD. (Long time lurker, having had the same car for over 10 years and nearly 200,000 miles put on it. Coming up for 230 thousand miles, with no big-ticket repairs, so my clueless 'leave it to the garage' approach has served me well up to now.)

I've started having a few problems (which seem to have coincided with my engine under tray finally giving up the ghost), the latest of which was discovering a plastic box attached to a hose was hanging down and dragging on the road after the garage had replaced my nearside coil. By the time I'd decided it sounded nasty and pulled over, I'd already ground a hole in the box so I'm now looking to replace it (or repair if necessary.) I think this thing had previously been sitting on the undertray, but since that fell off has been held on with a cable tie, which the garage have probably forgot to tighten.

The only marking on it is the number 46783555. On Google, that brings up an intercooler hose pipe, but that isn't what this is. It does also bring up one website showing this box, labelled a 'vacuum tank reservoir' however I suspect this isn't its correct name as that's the only website which has this. However, if you take a look at the webpage, you can at least see a photo of the thing: https://shopcar.parts/en/autopart/1161021/46783555-used-vacuum-tank-(reservoir)

As you'll have gathered, I have no idea what I'm doing, so would be grateful for any help with the following:
1. What is it called, so I can try and hunt one down.
2. Anyone know where I can get one cheap?
3. The car has been driving okay for the past 80 miles since I put a hole in this box, although I got a few sporadic intermittent engine fault messages in very wet conditions. Any problem in continuing to drive before I replace it?
4. Has anyone repaired a cracked/broken box like this and how? (E.g. I once did a successful temporary repair on my cracked coolant reservoir by finding a special superglue that worked with that type of plastic and using the same type of plastic, from a 2 litre milk carton, as a patch.)
5. My garage have declined the job of replacing my under tray, as all the fixing points are a mess - presumably corroded/stripped threads etc. Is this a common problem and do people overcome it, or bow to the inevitable when it all goes pear-shaped? And does it warrant the effort involved?

Thanks in advance.

It looks like the oil catch tank located on the bottom of the air filter.

Attachments

• Oil Catch Tank.jpg
    Oil Catch Tank.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 85
It looks like the oil catch tank located on the bottom of the air filter.
Thanks - that's the kiddie.

Now that I know what it's called, I've done a bit of searching around, and it seems that it's not a good idea to run the car with it missing or broken, in case you suck up some debris into the turbo(?) I can't find any of these things advertised on eBay or elsewhere, so I will make one attempt to repair mine, and if that doesn't work, block off the pipe to it.

Any problems with doing the above?

Update: I'm veering away from the idea of repairing the existing catch tank as it's been smashed/ground away on a corner, so would be an awkward job and likely to break if subject to any stress or pressure. I've been out in my garage looking for a container which is reasonably rigid and has the same diameter inlet as the hose connector on the catch tank (30mm.) What I've found is a bottle of Halfords bike brake oil - right aperture and is surprisingly rigid. The main difference is the volume: this bottle is 175ml, whereas the catch tank looks to be approx 1 litre. (Halfords bottle)

Any problems in using a catch tank less than a fifth the volume of the original?

This is not an oil tank, but a resonator that reduces the impact of the air flow. The fact that it fills with oil is because of the crankcase ventilation valve, which, as it gets older, lets in oil droplets that move along with the incoming air flow. I think the size and shape of this box matters.

This is not an oil tank, but a resonator that reduces the impact of the air flow. The fact that it fills with oil is because of the crankcase ventilation valve, which, as it gets older, lets in oil droplets that move along with the incoming air flow. I think the size and shape of this box matters.
Thanks - based on this, I've gone back to Plan A, i.e. try to repair the damaged box. I've tried a few types of superglue, which didn't stick, but then found epoxy resin stuck to it very well. So I've covered the damaged area in a layer of fibreglass, using epoxy resin. I'll then coat the whole area with a layer of thickened epoxy resin (to ensure it's air-tight) and finally cover it with one more layer of fibreglass. This will make an incredibly strong repair - it will probably the only bit of the car which will survive if I have a crash....

Mine was stuck to the bottom of the airbox with what looked like foam double-sided tape... but I managed to dislodge it when I was removing the airbox one time. I tried sticking it on with resin but the plastic (polypropylene) is pretty non-stick, so you might find yours comes unstuck after a while.

Last time I had the airbox off (clutch) I drilled a hole through the bottom of the airbox, into the resonator/fume separator (or whatever it is) and put a bolt with a nylock nut through it. You need to locate the hole somewhere where you can hold the nut in place with your finger while you get the bolt threaded, then you can switch to a spanner... It's an airbox off job.

The undertray... if you have the wheel arch liners, then just drill new holes and attach spire nuts to the new locations. Definitely keep the undertray. Mine never had one (not since I had it at least) and I fitted one. The difference it makes to keeping the engine bay clean and dry is immense.

Ralf S.

Back