General Stilo - it's just bad luck for me

Currently reading:
General Stilo - it's just bad luck for me

T14086 said:
Yeah know what you mean...I have been complaing of sore throat etc last few days,compare that to that kid made me feel so narrow minded & selfsh :eek: That was the second programme on her...I look foward to the next as she seemed so charming & happy:)

Back to the springs.....I only had a brief look at it,from memory it mentioned something about cutting a small section out of inner wheel arch & fitting a spacer.Exciting isn't it...like xmas come early:D

xmas.gif
bell.gif
santa2.gif
madnoel.gif
How exciting will they can stick it I have already spent money on new springs ect and have had them fitted to the strut on one side and fitted the strut my self as the car had the spring pushing into the side wall of the tyre and the second spring was fitted by my dealer after inspection and fiat have welched on it and also not payed the dealer for the work as well A holes (n)

I think perhaps anyone could sue the supplying dealer along the lines of the car is “not of merchantable quality” which can still be applied outside any given warranty period. Even on 3 - 4 year old cars I think the dealer would be hard put to argue that front spring failure is entirely normal and the moment they suggest it might be a design fault then they've just lost the case.

The problem for most of us is that we're the 2nd owner and therefore don't have a contract with the suppling dealer.

All the same the threat alone should have Fiat offering compensation :)

Dont get me wrong people I love the car just feel that if I can modify as much as possible away from OE parts I'm going in the right direction as they wont give be any aggro in the future Standard brake discs GONE replaced the brake hoses front and back with stainless steel braided and overall 100% improvement with brakes Induction system GSR no more changing that bloody stupid filter under there and have increased the BHP as well BARGAIN the more I can change the better it is IMO :)

T14086 said:
Test drive the 1.9 grande punto...wont cost you anything & might make you change your mind?
'She who must be obeyed' tried the 1.3JTD (as did I) a wee bit underwhelmed to be honest and quality of fit on the dashboard and inside was shocking (n) Might have just been that example though ?
No 1.9JTD available to test drive then (2 months ago) at the local dealers and they had a 150 Stilo sitting there screaming drive me but it was a hanger queen and not allowed out to play :p
I genuinely like the Stilo, but it has more than its fair share of faults. If and it's a mighty big if we/I get another FIAT it will have to be new as I can't see any of them as being a good proposition secondhand :cry: As an Italian car fan it grieves me greatly to admit that in public :cry:

A company that put your life in danger should be punished legally! (n)

Just image a spring failure at 120 MPH! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Did some one got hurth badly due to a spring failure??

Has any 1 sued Fiat??

Athos said:
Did some one got hurth badly due to a spring failure??

Has any 1 sued Fiat??

Fortunately all that's been hurt in the incidents with my Stilo is my pride :eek:
Not true in other cases and I suspect it is only a matter of time before someone takes legal action - not good for the brand IMHO (n)

Right - after 35 minutes on the 'phone my new "case" with FIAT begins......
Let's wait and see what happens :mad: or how long it takes FIAT HQ to call me back :rolleyes:

Now it's daylight (and stopped raining :rolleyes: ) I've been out and had a squint at the spring and guess what? That's right, buggered. Tell you what else, the spring is just getting ready to rip the tyre open - could go bang any minute :bang: :mad:
Joy.

ABZSTILO said:
Right - after 35 minutes on the 'phone my new "case" with FIAT begins......
Let's wait and see what happens :mad: or how long it takes FIAT HQ to call me back :rolleyes:

Now it's daylight (and stopped raining :rolleyes: ) I've been out and had a squint at the spring and guess what? That's right, buggered. Tell you what else, the spring is just getting ready to rip the tyre open - could go bang any minute :bang: :mad:
Joy.

If I were you I would jack up the car and take the wheel off and what ever you do dont drive the car you are in the same position as I was when I found the first spring snapped I had to resort to cutting the spring away from the tyre with my angle grinder :devil: ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ gone. The only problem then is of course you cant move the car and you will have to do the spring replacement there and not in a garage. Fortunately I can do this and did it myself [except for fitting the spring as my compressors weren't long enough]:( the only hard part of this job is removing the tie bar from the strut as the nut seizes on and its a bitch to remove so in that case I think it could be possible to remove it with a nut splitter [haven't got those very handy impact air tools like fiat ]its not a problem for them :rolleyes: If you have to remove the spring from the strut and the spring is NOT broken then I have done this recently WITH my shorter compressors as the spring is in a compressed state and the job is easy and I didn't use a OE part the strut is German and of very good quality unlike the fiat part and the price was a fraction of the fiat replacement(y)

ABZSTILO said:
Tell you what else, the spring is just getting ready to rip the tyre open - could go bang any minute :bang: :mad: .
While it's still in that state I'd get your digi camera out and take some shots. You could also get a neighbour to act as a witness.

You never know - might come in handy ;)

PNL said:
If I were you I would jack up the car and take the wheel off and what ever you do dont drive the car you are in the same position as I was when I found the first spring snapped............

True, it's what I would do if I had a trolly jack handy and had the motivation to do something other than popping out and finding a match and a can of petrol..... Although I have managed to resist the pyromaniac urges thus far :rolleyes:
There's also the possibility - having looked at it again - that the spring may shoot out like it did last time (when I popped the spare on) and I have no desire to get hit by a spring or bits of a spring. I can't use the standard jack as the car is sat on gravel. It's started raining again ( :rolleyes: ) and if I get my way (which I probabaly won't, but you gotta try) it will be up to FIAT to recover it, which will be tricky as it's in a awkward spot :( and it will almost certainly result in teh tyre going pop.
I do not want to move it as I'll end up having to fork out for a new tyre again. Yes, I did get the money back last time but I've reached the upper limits of my tolerance levels this time :mad: As I see it, it's FIATs problem and I'll make damn sure they know about it :yuck:

Argonought said:
While it's still in that state I'd get your digi camera out and take some shots. You could also get a neighbour to act as a witness.

You never know - might come in handy ;)

Camera has already been in action this morning (y) hadn't thought about the neighbour thing...... hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Athos said:
A company that put your life in danger should be punished legally! (n)

Just image a spring failure at 120 MPH! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Stupid argument...this in theory means you can sue any electrical appliance making company,gas companies,tyre company,water companies,road making/repairers(councils),gun companies,knife makers etc etc...infact just about anything/object can hurt/kill you.
99% of time people sue for their own selfish financial gain not in the interest of others.
In UK speed limit is 70mph!

T14086 said:
Stupid argument...this in theory means you can sue any electrical appliance making company,gas companies,tyre company,water companies,road making/repairers(councils),gun companies,knife makers etc etc...infact just about anything/object can hurt/kill you.
99% of time people sue for their own selfish financial gain not in the interest of others.
In UK speed limit is 70mph!

Even at 70 MPH a coil spring that blows your tire can be FATAL and a company that gives a dam for a well documented and repetitive failure deserves to be punished!

I'm not talking about people who makes a living out of legalties!
But a question of HUMAN LIFES IN RISK !!

I think Fiat should have issued a recall ages ago.

If this causes a major accident (with someone being killed) then the press will have a field day and the s**t really will hit the fan (n)

Last edited:
If there is a recall in the offing it's about time. It would reassures me that when I was told by Neena at FIAT Customer Services that "an investigation is underway in Italy" that indeed it was. Now my Stilo is fitted with two new front springs at FIAT's expense, I wonder if they will still contact me?

Oddly enough it was Neena who dealt with my previous 'incident' - seems she's left the company :eek:
Ah well. No further 'phone calls from FIAT today, wait and see what the morning brings :confused:

Anyone know.........

Is the recall going to be all Stilos ever made or is there only certain years/models effected?

Thanks

Back