General Stilo - it's just bad luck for me

Currently reading:
General Stilo - it's just bad luck for me

ABZSTILO

Inverness Sierra
Back at the end of April the Stilo disgraced itself when the n/s front spring shattered and blew up the new tyre - not at home ofcourse, it happened on one of the most inaccesible spots on the west coast of Scotland when I'd taken my wife away for her birthday (n) Under warranty the car was repaired and I requested at that time that the spring on the drivers side was replaced..... FIAT said no, but they'd get the dealer to check it.
Cut forward to this evening and, whilst reversing out of the drive to take the good lady out to dinner, guess what ? That's right. The drivers side spring has shattered :mad: fortunately the tyre hasn't been shredded this time but unfortunately the warranty has run out :cry:
I'll be in touch with FIAT tomorrow morning and see what they're prepared to do about this - it's f*cking ridiculous that a modern cars springs should shatter in under 35K miles.
I'll keep you all appraised. Here's hoping my day on the 'phone to FIAT will not prove too "character building" :bang:

ABZSTILO said:
Back at the end of April the Stilo disgraced itself when the n/s front spring shattered and blew up the new tyre - not at home ofcourse, it happened on one of the most inaccesible spots on the west coast of Scotland when I'd taken my wife away for her birthday (n) Under warranty the car was repaired and I requested at that time that the spring on the drivers side was replaced..... FIAT said no, but they'd get the dealer to check it.
Cut forward to this evening and, whilst reversing out of the drive to take the good lady out to dinner, guess what ? That's right. The drivers side spring has shattered :mad: fortunately the tyre hasn't been shredded this time but unfortunately the warranty has run out :cry:
I'll be in touch with FIAT tomorrow morning and see what they're prepared to do about this - it's f*cking ridiculous that a modern cars springs should shatter in under 35K miles.
I'll keep you all appraised. Here's hoping my day on the 'phone to FIAT will not prove too "character building" :bang:

Rumour has it theres a spring recall about to be released by Fiat?

Aye - there needs to be a recall by FIAT :rolleyes: It's simply dangerous :eek:
Highly likely that mine will be up for sale immediately after its fixed, no matter how fond I am of it :cry:

bozzy said:
Rumour has it theres a spring recall about to be released by Fiat?

Can you tell me where you had that information from Boz :chin: I have known this for a while but did not put it up just in-case its not accurate :)

So if the rumour of a recall is well founded then it's reasonable to suggest that FIAT are unlikely to put up too much of a struggle tomorrow morning when I ask them (very nicely) if they wouldn't mind awfully putting my Stilo back together again (and again, and again and again..... etc etc) are they? :confused:

ABZSTILO said:
So if the rumour of a recall is well founded then it's reasonable to suggest that FIAT are unlikely to put up too much of a struggle tomorrow morning when I ask them (very nicely) if they wouldn't mind awfully putting my Stilo back together again (and again, and again and again..... etc etc) are they? :confused:

Seems a reasonable argument. If not scream in the showroom.

bozzy said:
In a chatroom occupied by respectable Fiat technicians, (yes there are some)I will say no more but T might know a bit more:)

I recieved a Pm with the info and this person told me that recall was going to take place within the next two weeks depending on the stock leval of springs in the UK :)

Funny timing this topic. I was only talking about this to a mate at work. My old 52 plate Stilo had a snapped front nearside spring go. Cause my wheel to blow at 60mph. Warranty had just ran out as well. So got it fixed and bought a Seat Ibiza Cupra lol (picking up new Stilo on sat though)

2 small 'modifications' are carried out,springs not changed or anything like that.

(bozzy you left chatroom last night before I could reply...I did see that prog on C5 (9pm) about that girl in USA that had those facial operations...poor kid but she certainly has great courage!)

T14086 said:
2 small 'modifications' are carried out,springs not changed or anything like that.

(bozzy you left chatroom last night before I could reply...I did see that prog on C5 (9pm) about that girl in USA that had those facial operations...poor kid but she certainly has great courage!)

T, off topic but if I had just a small amount of her & her families courage I would be a better man. Puts life into perspective.

As a matter of interest, what 'modifications' can be made to the Stilo suspension (or any similar set up) to stop springs snapping? I'm not being funny - I'm seriously intrigued!

T14086 said:

Yes the modification will be some kind of guard to stop the spring from damaging the tyre if the spring snaps sorr ybut IMO thats not good enough is it and what about the guys and gals who have coughed up for spring repplacement will we get compensation for the cost I WONDER not holding my breath really :)

As I said it was a PM with this info received from person from this forum I wasnt going to say anything but as its out then I cant see the problem and I agree with you totally who need a bloody guard just give us a reliable set of spring not a modification You can see why now people go for the after market option with springs and I only wish my body kit wasn't so low as I would fit a set of coil over pretty rapid :)

bozzy said:
T, off topic but if I had just a small amount of her & her families courage I would be a better man. Puts life into perspective.

Yeah know what you mean...I have been complaing of sore throat etc last few days,compare that to that kid made me feel so narrow minded & selfsh :eek: That was the second programme on her...I look foward to the next as she seemed so charming & happy:)

Back to the springs.....I only had a brief look at it,from memory it mentioned something about cutting a small section out of inner wheel arch & fitting a spacer.Exciting isn't it...like xmas come early:D

Back