Technical Stilo Coils, help please

Currently reading:
Technical Stilo Coils, help please

MrsT

Hi I've read all the threads re: misfiring and replacing the coil packs but nobody seems to have the same problem as my poor Stilo 1.2 3-door Activ, 52 plate. Whilst my son had the car it started misfiring, as we were on holiday he took the car to his nearest garage who diagnosed a faulty coil problem, under his advice we had all the coils and plugs replaced. Car ran fine for 3/4 weeks then same problem occurred. We found the 'faulty' coil, took the coil back to the garage (40 miles away) and he replaced it. Again the car ran fine for 2 weeks but now we are left with the same problem. Same cylinder, No.2. Anybody any ideas why this might be happening and what damage might occur if I drive the car the 40 miles back to the garage for him to fix the problem?

No takers?
Ok the fact that the problem disappears when you change a coil might point to simply a poor connection in the wiring from the ECU to that coil. That would give you all your symptoms and without the need to change coils or plugs

ignition circuit 1.2. 2.JPG
Diag shows coils A30 leading to the ECU
So I'd check and clean up connections here (red circles)
N70 are the injectors

A misfire of course can also be caused by an injector or wiring (green circles) to that injector. Knowing the stored Fault Codes can be helpful here.

A poor connection can show up as only being a problem when the engine gets hot

Next time you go to the garage stamp on his foot and ask
"Now do you need to change one foot, two feet, all your toes or is it something else that causing the problem?"
Moral is >> the fault code shows the area to start checking, not to replace everything in sight

Last edited:
cheers, will take my size 9 hob nail boots to him.

Let you know if it works - the connectors, not the boots, not owning up to that one!

Last edited:
Back