Technical Stilo 1.9JTD vibrations on acceleration over 100km/h

Currently reading:
Technical Stilo 1.9JTD vibrations on acceleration over 100km/h

chemomche

Hi, just bought a stilo last week(1.9 115hp).
I changed the timing belt, oil, coolant and did my first highway ride.
Car was doing well, when half way it started to shake when i accelerate.(5th gear, over 100km/h)
The more i pres the accelerator, the more severe it shakes.
The problem is worse on climing...
The vibrations do not show at city traffic on 1-4th gear accelerations.

And on idle it is pretty shaky, if i put some revs, the vibrations disappear.

What can it be?

If was fine before the work to change cambelt
Then worth going over the parts removed to do the work,, bottom engine pulley on flush and correctly, engine mount all secure and may be worth checking the wheel is on flush and no stone stuck between the wheel hub and surface it fits making it out of line although having read agin you say it is ok at idle so would check engine mounting points and bottom pulley also aux belt on ok as should be, just go over what you removed, certainly may be worth a whip of cambelt cover off to check the belt is tension ok and no signs it is rubbing or out of line

Last edited:
I have not ride the car before the cambelt change. I wanted to do proper maingtanance and then to take it on the road. So no idea if there was a problem before.

ok so may not be cambelt related would check engine mount and bottom pulley and quick look at cambelt for peace of mind for you..but
Then check wheel and suspension parts wheels balanced and no bad tyres ...I once had severe vibration when getting to 60mph 100 kmh which got worse in the end found it was worn inner driveshaft tripod joint , the vibration became worse that even at 40mph it started this was as the joint became more worn, can check for too much play in driveshaft when checking other suspension parts and car is on jack..once replaced joint quite easy job just messy with grease..car now smooth...check if any clunking when first moving and putting in gear as this is also part of worn tripod that I had also vibration became worse with more throttle use but ok when just driving steady

Last edited:
Hi.

Check the wheel nuts are tight.

If the shake is through the steering wheel then I would get the front wheels balanced first, get the tyre guy to check the tyres over while he is balancing them.

Wheel wobble usually starts at about 100kph so sounds very much like it is your problem; it’s probably your cheapest first option as well.

The steering does not shake, the whole car shakes like a washing machine on spin.
I found out there the center part of the engine sump plate is missing, did not know that there should be one.
Today i will go adjust the front and rear axles(if that's the term).

Hello to everyone!
I am new in here and I am already having a trouble like in this thread.
My stilo 1.9 jtd (2001.) is shaking like hell when accelerating and when I drive steady there is no vibrations. At speeds over 100kph the vibrations are stronger.
Steering wheel does not shake, the whole chassis does...
Wheels are balanced - that was first that I checked, and there is no play in the wheel bearings.
I have noticed that it becomes more severe over time, so I assume that some part is going down... (pretty quickly)
Yesterday, when I saw this thread I look under the car and I saw that right drive shaft (longer one) have radial play at the inner joint (app 2mm up-down).
Today I am going to garage to change this driveshaft (or just tripod joint, I am not sure whitch is going to be...)
Chemomche, did you solve your problem with vibrations and what was it?
I am just hoping that is not the DMF...
Does anyone knows does injectors can be the cause of that symptoms?

Thanks for the reply in advance!

Vibrations that seem to be isolated to certain speeds in a rear wheel drive car many times are balance issues in the torque tube/drive shaft or universal joints. Vehicles with half shafts (fwd or cars with gearbox in back) also suffer this, as the ballance ( or sometimes play in the parts due to wear) will cause a harmonic vibration that gets worse at a certain frequency. The thing about your issue is that it's not really being felt thru the steering wheel exclusively, so that should eliminate front wheel balance problems. Does it feel like it's originating from the front of the car or is it so severe that's it can't be determined which end of the car it's coming from. I've seen rear wheel bearings and hub parts cause nasty vibrations at certain speeds, ad well.

Oh... the vibrations comes from the front of the vehicle definetly.
And, yes, you are right about the rear wheel bearings.
On my Stilo, rear right wheel bearing was gone (2 months ago) and it was causing the severe noise and vibrations (like it was very rough tires) and the source could not be traced. In one moment it felt like it is coming from the front and in other moment from the rear of the vehicle, but that I sorted out - it was the wheel bearing...
This vibrations, I assume, have source in the power train / transmision assemblies but I do not know exactly... :-(

...just an update...
Yesterday I changed the right (longer) driveshaft and there was no vibrations today during the acceleration on the highway. :)
When I opened the inner driveshaft joint (so called tripod joint), I saw the dry bearings and red coloured rollers.
Inside the cup where the rollers go into I found serious damages, so I assume that just changing the rollers would not sort this problem, even though the rollers had a lot of radial play.
Anyway, changing the right driveshaft is not so difficult and it took about 2 hours with opening the inner joint, cleaning it and filling it with new grease. (Black grease with colloidal graphite and MoS2)

Now I have to deal with the vibrations in the idle... :)

Cheers!

Back