Steve Jobs - R.I.P

Currently reading:
Steve Jobs - R.I.P

One thing I have never understood is why people say all the 'i' series are a waste of money and as you said, 'uninspiring'. I say this because if they were such a waste of money and so uninspiring, how come so many people have/want them? How come the iphone is regarded as one of the greatest technological inventions ever? How come in the music industry, Apple computers are a MUST? Apple's software is second to none.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer Android phones, but they do vaguely copy the iphone.

I don't want to get into an apple vs PC fight or arguement as it's futile, but I do wonder why you've said Apple computers are a must for the music industry, I've worked with a recording studio before and they had PC's. In the same building was a graphics house and guess what they didn't care if they had Mac's or PC's cos you can get the software for both ;)

What specific software do apple produce that the music industry MUST have?

Back on topic!

RIP Mr Jobs

A wise man once said ;)....

I hate Apple products.

I hate the legions of drooling fanbois who camp for days to get their latest iCrap product.

I hate Apples business practices of trying to stifle the opposition with patent lawsuits.

Having said all that.

RIP Steve, although I didn't care for your company or it's products, a lot of other people did and you brought that to them. 56 is too young age to go.

I think that says about all that can be said on the topic. At the end of the day, he was a person, who is no different to you or I, who died, just like you and I will, and possibly even of the disease that he did. But he was a person, nothing more.

Last edited:
A wise man once said ;)....

I think that says about all that can be said on the topic. At the end of the day, he was a person, who is no different to you or I, who died, just like you and I will, and possibly even of the disease that he did. But he was a person, nothing more.

Totally agree..

As i said, i wil never remember Steve Jobs for his dealings with AppleINC..

but for his work with PIXAR... thanks to him & pixar i think he effected far more people with their films than with ANY apple product.. (y)

Incredible really, but Apple and Google make MS look like fair players. Tbf to MS, they pretty much have been over the last decade.

Bye bye Apple though. :)
Yeah, the strange thing is the EU allows Apple to do things which it never would have allowed Microsoft to do back in the bad old days. Bundling Quicktime and Safari with iTunes is just frigging annoying ;)

I don't want to get into an apple vs PC fight or arguement as it's futile, but I do wonder why you've said Apple computers are a must for the music industry, I've worked with a recording studio before and they had PC's. In the same building was a graphics house and guess what they didn't care if they had Mac's or PC's cos you can get the software for both ;)

What specific software do apple produce that the music industry MUST have?

Back on topic!

RIP Mr Jobs

The trick Apple played was making people think that their products could do stuff that others couldn't.

The whole "If you haven't got an iPhone.... you haven't got an iPhone" advertising campaign is a prime example.

The fact is that whether you buy an iPhone or a high end version of an Android phone, WP7 device or a a Blackberry, you'll probably have a really good phone that is every bit as good as an iPhone. You might have a slightly smaller choice of fart apps but that's about it. But there's this idea in some people's minds that an iPhone is just head and shoulders above the rest and this is simply not true. WP7's Metro UI is sooooo much better than iOS.

I've built myself a rather kickarse PC with a Sandy Bridge Core i5 and a Corsair Force 3 GT SSD and I very much suspect that for the money it'll blow any Mac out of the water. I'm not jealous in the slightest of Mac owners :)

Yeah, the strange thing is the EU allows Apple to do things which it never would have allowed Microsoft to do back in the bad old days. Bundling Quicktime and Safari with iTunes is just frigging annoying ;)

That's the joy of android...plug it in pc recognises it as a disc drive drag and drop...none of this proprietary nonsense you get with the Zune for WP7 or itunes.

RIP Steve Jobs

Which is no better or worse than several other music production peices of software ;)

I think the following sums things up rather well when it comes to why people think Apple is better............

The trick Apple played was making people think that their products could do stuff that others couldn't.

The whole "If you haven't got an iPhone.... you haven't got an iPhone" advertising campaign is a prime example.

I don't frankly care about what this chap sold. The fact is he was somebody who achieved a hell of a lot, honestly and legiimately made a fortune, honestly, emplyed a lot of people with Apple and films, and enriched a lot of people's lives on the way. And he died at 56.
That's a great pity. I am sure he had a lot more to offer if he had been given the time.

Enriched a lot of people's lives?

What about the dozens of Chinese Apple factory workers that leaped to their deaths because of the horrendous working conditions and long hours, all for next to nothing so Jobs could have EVEN MORE money?

Did you know how they got around that one?

They built suicide fences, so they couldn't jump out the building.

It's a pity when anybody takes their own life of course. I don't know how many worked assembling for Apple,and how many took their own lives, and for what reason. The only people that truly know that are dead, obviously.
Chinese factories are increasingly tightly controlled from a safety and ethical standpoint, and this is for the protection of the workers, the importers and the retailers.I know. I have visited plenty of them. Maybe you have too and know better.
What I meant by "enriched" was in the sense of having bought a product that they enjoyed using. Nothing more than that.

apple is not the only company guilty of exploiting workers etc

clothing company's for example
This is supposed to be an RIP for a person, not an analysis of the rights and wrongs of capitalism, but nevertheless it is a tricky point.
If you lived in a village and the only chance of work was on a small farm, in the fields for next to no momey, or a job which involved moving to an industrial centre to earn much more money, which would you do? The fact that the wages in the industrial factory are a fraction of what a similar worker earns in Europe in that context is irrelevant. He or she is better off than if they had stayed in the fields, and most of us would have empty houses and walk round naked if it wasn't for such factories.
Now whether or not Apple could have done more to ensure that the contractor (Foxconn wasn't it?) took better care of its workers is another matter. Frankly I am surprised if they didn't take it very seriously knowing the harm it would do to their reputation. But I would assume that even Steve Jobs couldn't do everything and paid people to look after his supply chain.

This is supposed to be an RIP for a person, not an analysis of the rights and wrongs of capitalism, but nevertheless it is a tricky point.
If you lived in a village and the only chance of work was on a small farm, in the fields for next to no momey, or a job which involved moving to an industrial centre to earn much more money, which would you do? The fact that the wages in the industrial factory are a fraction of what a similar worker earns in Europe in that context is irrelevant. He or she is better off than if they had stayed in the fields, and most of us would have empty houses and walk round naked if it wasn't for such factories.
Now whether or not Apple could have done more to ensure that the contractor (Foxconn wasn't it?) took better care of its workers is another matter. Frankly I am surprised if they didn't take it very seriously knowing the harm it would do to their reputation. But I would assume that even Steve Jobs couldn't do everything and paid people to look after his supply chain.

note post #30

also i never said anything about right or wrong i just said apple isn't the only company guilty

note post #30

also i never said anything about right or wrong i just said apple isn't the only company guilty
Yes I know what you mean. I don't think guilty is the right word, but they are definitely not the only company to be making their goods in China, obviously. That region of China (Shenzhen) is like one big throbbing engine. There are all sorts of factories producing eveything under the sun 24 hours a day, and for some names that you might be surprised about.

If i remember rightly Samsung developed all of Apples processors to start with...

Nope. Apple wanted to create the newton PDA. To do that they needed a new CPU. So they got Herman Hauser (of Acorn fame). He designed the original ARM CPU and Apple and Olivetti, of all companies, funded the development. Apple & Olivetti owned 47% of ARM and Herman the rest. When apple got into financial strife after sacking Steve Jobs the first time they had to sell their share in ARM for $800 million.

He really was an innovator and the driving force in Apple. Wonder how they will fare without him :-(

I'm with Maxi on this one. I disagree. He wasn't an innovator. In fact a large part of Apple's back catalogue is blatant rip offs of others design, going all the way back to Xerox Parc / Apple Lisa days. What Jobs was, above all else, was a genius marketeer. And he was only that because he was essentially a designer, not a technical guy. His biggest gift was minimalism, take others good ideas and implement them simply. That led to the image. That led to the cult.

Apples software is watered down Linux, basically. It's a worthless OS.

Well, strictly speaking is a BSD variant and I'd argue with watered down. Worthless no. Dumbed down I could accept. But in the world of Unix that's no bad thing when you bring its power and sophistication to the general public. And the real Unix guts are there if you dig in, so not watered down particularly.

Last edited:
I'm with Maxi on this one. I disagree. He wasn't an innovator. In fact a large part of Apple's back catalogue is blatant rip offs of others design, going all the way back to Xerox Parc / Apple Lisa days. What Jobs was, above all else, was a genius marketeer. And he was only that because he was essentially a designer, not a technical guy. His biggest gift was minimalism, take others good ideas and implement them simply. That led to the image. That led to the cult.

Exactly. I think it does the real designers and inventors a disservice to make out that Steve was the inventor of all the things that Apple did. What he brought to the table was his ability to market products well and a commitment to minimalism. Compare Windows Mobile 6.5 to Windows Phone 7 and you'll see that Microsoft have taken this a step further.

I just find it weird that he's being praised for things he never really did, and not praised for the things he actually did.....

Reality distortion field anyone? :)

Back