Technical Steering wheel wrong "angle"

Currently reading:
Technical Steering wheel wrong "angle"

Md2012

I have a problem with my Punto mk2. It's from 2000 1.2L 8v.
I had the front subframe after it failed its MOT. It was done by my helpful uncle.
After the frame was changed, the steering wheel was positioned wrong. When i drive in a strait line, it's in a position like im turning right. -> See the picture
My mechanic says its because the "toothed rack" (roughly translated from danish) have moved under the swap.
Is there any easy way to fix this? my mechanic said he could fix it, but not cheap.

I read online that you could just take of your steering wheel and replace it "in the right way".. this sounds for me very as a bad idéa, but is it possible?

Sorry my english... Hope you guys understand what I'm trying to say.

Attachments

• IMG_20130917_085633.jpg
    IMG_20130917_085633.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 48
dont alter it by removing the steering wheel-if you did it this way you wouid have to litterly force the wheel on with a hammer,

have it tracked properly, check track rod ends first,if worn replace & then have it done,

hi Md2012 you have a problem
i assume your mechanic removed the subframe with rack attached rather than leaving it in situ
on refit he must have hammered the rack end onto the steering downshaft but out of skew
problem is downshaft only fits in one position so its quite possible hes damaged the safety splines

yes you can undo the lower pinch bolt inside the car and pull theshaft up so as to centralise this is assuming you can now get this off?
be aware that you need to keep steering lock on at all times apart from when turning wheel to the left for centralisation otherwise you might damage the airbag clock spring if it spins in one direction or when its on full lock

does that make sense?
give mechanic big slap on head if i am right because car is dangerous to drive until fixed

S & B : I dont understand fully... 1. because of language barrier 2. "mechanic terms"..

But i have driven with this for 3 monts with no problems at all, the only difference is that the wheel is like im driving all the time, but im realy driving in a straight line.

My mechanic said it didnt do anything because the wheels was perfectly in zero "his words" ..
The only problem was the steering wheel, and that was only a problem if it annoyed me.

How can it be dangerous?

steering shaft fastens to rack by your feet
it only goes on in one position
if your mechanic didnt adjust your track rod ends then he put rack shaft on your shaft in wrong place

Ratakslen f¿stner til rack med dine f¸dder det kun foregår i en position hvis din mekaniker ikke justere dit spor ledhoveder da han satte rack aksel på din akslen i forkerte sted

ohhh i understand a little i can see now...

the rack im pretty sure wasnt removed...
80% sure...
The only thing he removed down from the car was the sub frame it self :)

(was standing there not knowing what they did - it was done by family)

if he'd left rack in situ
your steering wouldnt be out
why was subframe swapped

hvis han havde forladt rack in situ Deres styring ville v¿re ude hvorfor blev underramme byttes

Rust... the MOT man was quite agressive with his hammer...

Back