Technical Steering tug to the left

Currently reading:
Technical Steering tug to the left

Baldyoldgit

My friend's 1.2 Active 5 door with 7K has recently developed a slight but noticeable pull to the left. Tyre pressures OK and no known bumps to the steering or suspension. The steering rack or something in the mechanism is also groaning very quietly.
I've suggested a trip to the Dealers as the brakes are also squealing quite a bit and the car is an early build model that has not been returned (yet) for any warranty repairs.
Any other thoughts anyone? I've done a search but couldn't find the exact complaint in any previous thread....
TIA

I think some of the earlier ones had problems with the steering column or rack......I am sure someone will clarify this and provide some more info.

i think i had the exact same problem as your friend. is the vibration and noise particularly noticable during slow speeds?

i think the car should still be under warranty, so just take it back for them to fix. i had mine fix and now have no problem.

i had quite a few problems with mine but now they are all fixed therefore i haven't been back there for over a month!

My friend's 1.2 Active 5 door with 7K has recently developed a slight but noticeable pull to the left.

Mine too - does the steering wheel centre itself after a left turn?

I've also noticed a fairly loud knock (just one) when reversing and turning anti-clockwise. Doesn't always knock, and lately its started in the clockwise direction too.

Mine too - does the steering wheel centre itself after a left turn?

Not very strongly, that's about all I can say. Sometimes the fault is very apparent, other times (I suppose the road camber is having an effect) not.

The local dealership have organised a courtesy car for two days and promised to do their best to sort it this week.

Finger's crossed. Otherwise the car has been perfect and behaved without fault.

I'm going to take mine to another place to get it checked out, so would be great if you let us know how you go :)

My friend's car was booked into Caledonia Warrington on Thursday and was given a courtesy car for 48 hours.
Car was collected yesterday afternoon - new steering rack/motor and upgraded front pads fitted. Car valetted inside and out!
One happy Fiat customer - Well done Caledonian!

I am hearing good things about Caledonia. They are my 2nd nearest dealer, and only about 20min away.....I might give them a go next time the need arises.

My friend's car was booked into Caledonia Warrington on Thursday and was given a courtesy car for 48 hours.
Car was collected yesterday afternoon - new steering rack/motor and upgraded front pads fitted. Car valetted inside and out!
One happy Fiat customer - Well done Caledonian!

So it was a faulty steering rack that caused the pulling to the left/not centering after a left turn?

I think it was the power steering element that was changed. Before the car was attended to, pressing the "city" button made no difference to the feel and the steering was always light. Now the car behaves properly and in standard mode there is more resistance than when in the "city" mode.
Does that help?

Old thread I know but I have some what of a similar problem.
I have always noticed my car pulling to the left and I really should get of my arse and get it tracked, but then the other day I parrallel parked and i heard a growl :/ so I stopped (on the foot brake) and touched the steering wheel and whenever I turned it slightly left or slightly right it juddered and vibrated like a ...beep... so I started reading some posts on here and now I am thinking daymn I've got to fork out for a new PAS motor. can't the torque sensors be replaced on their own?
The thing is the steering is normally fine, slightly easier to turn left than right, but I assume because of tracking and the crown of the road. the city button works. and the PAS has died twice, but thats because my car likes to say "stop and turn off engine your radiator is too hot" even when it's cold, hence a switch off wait a sec, restart and normally fine, but as I say the PAS hasn't worked when Ive done this before. I just put it down to the battery to be honest.
sorry for the long post but yano, trying save some money :/ haha
Thanks in advance
Adam

I too am having this problem. My tracking was quite badly out apparently. I had it tracked earlier today (cost me 29 quid!) and it made not the slightest bit of difference.

Let go of the wheel and it doesn't just slightly pull to the left, it really pulls to the left. In fact, I pulled off a dual carriage way on to the slip road just by letting go of the wheel (probably not the best idea but that gives you an idea of how bad it is)

Also a terrible judder when reversing and turning. Does this sound like a failing steering rack? No judders when turning slow and no complete power steering failures...yet.

Daft question this may be, but, your tyre pressures are correct on all four corners aren't they?

Mine kept pulling to the left until I'd realised that mine were all over the shop and a couple of them were almost down to the legal limit. Four new tyres later and correct pressures in all of them, and it drives in a straighter than before line.

Tyre pressures are fine, 2.2 front 2.0 rear.

Taking it back to National Tyres on Saturday, naturally they were all defensive and tried to place the blame elsewhere however they are going to take another look to make sure the tracking is correct.

If it is a wider problem, would they be able to spot any discrepancies with the steering rack or any other components? Last time I took a car to National to get tracked they pointed out a track rod end that had siezed so you would have thought so...

It's really quite bad now, if this kept up my tyres would be ruined within the month! Lol.

Back