Technical Steering recall- Campaign 4968 on 1.8 and 2.4 variants

Currently reading:
Technical Steering recall- Campaign 4968 on 1.8 and 2.4 variants

The recall is for all 1.8 and 2.4 stilos. Its for both left and right hand drive. dependent on milage its either a new steering rack or modifying the old one.The recall is for excessive play with the rack. All the people affected should get letters buy recorded post.

Freelancer said:
maybe good idea to give your dealers a call to see if yours is affected James?

First thing I did Freelancer after seeing the original post by Fiattech. Dealer said to wait for letter and phone back in a month if nothing heard. Due to phone next week.

Incidently, does the steering feel any different once a new rack is fitted?

dealer can check on there Computer(SIGI) screen and see if you vehicle needs repairing under the recall. They just need your chassis number off your car. Thats it no letter needed.

FiatExpert said:
dealer can check on there Computer(SIGI) screen and see if you vehicle needs repairing under the recall. They just need your chassis number off your car. Thats it no letter needed.

Yeah - they did that already M8 and advised me Fiat had told themto tell affected customers to wait for the letters to ensure that the Dealers had the parts! I know that my chassis number is one of the ones due to be recalled. Hope nothing falls off in the meantime!+ :eek:

hey peeps, rang my dealer today and booked it in for next wednesday! although some people have said the dealer required the car for the day mine has said the 'adjustment' will take between 1.5-2.5 hours so i could wait around or go shopping in the meantime!!! so if i just get the adjustment will i need the new steering rack later when i have compiled more miles as the cars now that have greater millage get a new steering rack??! Or is that me just being critical, or is it me that just depicted that from fiatexpert comment on the work! :confused:

Either the rack is replaced with a modified one dependent on mileage or the old one is modified to take out the play permanent.
Should take about 1 hour to repair the old one.

James Abarth said:
Incidently, does the steering feel any different once a new rack is fitted?

Nope, still feels the same, I did ask that question when I picked mine up and was told nope shoudlnt feel any different at all.

1.8Stilo said:
so if i just get the adjustment will i need the new steering rack later when i have compiled more miles as the cars now that have greater millage get a new steering rack??! Or is that me just being critical, or is it me that just depicted that from fiatexpert comment on the work! :confused:

From what I remember of the bulletin doc, the mileage for changing the rack if affected past a certain notch in the rack was something around 5000~6000 miles ( but dont quote me on it ) FiatExpert should be able to tell you the mileage limits.

all I know is I have done only 6500miles and qualified for the new rack.

Phoned my local dealer and asked, not recieved a letter from Fiat but I only bought the car 7 weeks ago so they may not have my details yet.....

Confirmed that my car needs the work and they will contact me when they have the spares in.

My car went in last year to have some work done and was told steering rack was knackered at that time and it got replaced, warranty was up one week ago. Do you reckon my problem will now be sorted or should I see about getting it checked out again, just had the tracking done and car still pulls to the left! Am I still covered??

Last edited:
I'm now booked in for July 27 - I'll have the tracking rechecked at the same time due to the change from 16" to 17" rims. Dealer says not necessary unless you go up to 18" - is that correct? I'm cautious so plan to have it done anyway.

Apparently I'll be the first steering recall Stilo they will have done - 15 page instruction manual from Fiat for them to work through. Steering racks are £300 so they don't keep them in stock. Courtesy car again - clutch city again. (n)

Had my Abarth steering rack replaced. They undertook a test on the existing rack after upgrading it and it did not come within the expected tolerances. So the rack was replaced under warranty and the wheel alignment redone. Definitely handles more positively than before.
kat

I got mine done yesterday, the car feels all screwy. I liked it before the recall. The part they replaced looks like a tiny nut or gear, maybe plastic... It wasn't an entire steering rack as far as I know.

Right, will phone dealers tomorrow - they did my 36k service and MOT whilst I was away [left key with Bob the service manager, and they grabbed car off driveway] - only problems - well, MOT not dated from start of year 4, even though they had service book, and also wrong registration number on certificate, lol....really useful, seeing that tax runs out next week :( just hassle getting a replacement sorted, etc.

BUT I will deffo mention again this campaign - no letter for me, not surprising if I never notified FIAT of change of ownership - oops :eek:

My Dealer just rang to confirm my Stilo's done - steering rack replaced under Warranty. Thankfully I never experienced any steering problems with the original rack - has anyone on the FF? As a matter of interest what was the problem exactly - anyone know? :confused: Techies please. (y)

Speaking to my dealership about it this Saturday [going in to sort out load of Ulysse issues] - I then realised, FIAT Uk do know about my ownership, because I had received the AA warranty card from them...

Hi... we'll my car went in last week and the adjust i was told is all my car would need, took 5hours instead of the 1-2hours the told me before and after this time all the said was the problem wasnt cured because the car had done to many miles for it to be able to be adjusted (its only done 22k)! No dirty marks from the mechanics in the car this time! There ordering me a rack and other pieces they require and soonest they can get it in is 5th august! Lets hope they finally get it sorted then! Also gota put me a new ash tray in! Anybody else had problems with there ash try now clipping in! I dont smoke and this is the 3rd replacement im on! I never use them; they just seem to fall down 1day and dont want to clip in again :(

Phoned dealer yesterday (Stoneacre, Liverpool), asked me to bring it in today 9.00 am, checked it out, needs full new rack, put it on order, gonna call when its in... Can't say i've noticed any probs. myself though... 1 month left on warranty...!! (y) I'll let you know how it goes... (1.8 Dyanmic 3Dr)

Back