steering knocking ??

Currently reading:
steering knocking ??

hi everyone my steering on my punto mk2 is knocking it only does this when i turn the wheel a quarter to the left :confused::confused: has anyone had the before and what could it be ????

^^^^
this should help a bit :)

My punto has had a knock in the steering for about 2 years now, and it definitely feels mechanical. It comes and goes, somtimes is really bad, scary almost but sometimes theres nothing at all. Got through 2 MOT's with no balljoints/track rods or anything coming up as a fail. There is no play in anything. Checked everything i can think of, all joints, suspension etc. 2 garages have also looked it at. No one has ever been able to find anything wrong . . . try explaining that one lol :confused:

On Auto-data there is a recall Notice for Steering Coloumn Poor fitment / Design

My punto to has this ""knock"" when at certain angles

The Shaft that goes from the coloumns gearbox to the little stub for the steering rack has play near gearbox side

The fix is a replacement Upgrade shaft nut and bolt

Only way to get the shaft out is pretty much remove the whole steering wheel and column - i cba todo that, so i live with it
NO MOT issues, no driving issues, just clunks

Ziggy

Nope doesn't do it on full lock, only as your turning the steering wheel. If you turn it and hold it in place, it nocks as you turn it but as you hold it theres no knocking. Very similar to that heard in the video posted.

As i say the knocking comes and goes, sometimes is bad. Its so random!

Ah right it could be the steering rack then! The garage said they made sure to check everything as they felt the knock when driving onto the ramp, but couldn't find anything wrong.

Back