General Steering Fail Notification, Panda, Just Me?

Currently reading:
General Steering Fail Notification, Panda, Just Me?

Has Your Fiat Developed Early Steering Fail Problems?

• Total voters
After driving without the PS for almost 3 weeks, it suddenly seemed to have work alright this morning. So I don't know whether it's ok or my dear Panda decided to play with me. :D

Exactly what happens to ours. The poll is very telling. This is a wide spread problem.

Exactly what happens to ours. The poll is very telling. This is a wide spread problem.

Hardly, the poll is simply made of more people who have had issues, because they have had a reason to search the net about the issue and have come across this thread.

I doubt many people without this fault will be searching for information about it :rolleyes:

Its not that common at all TBH. Same happens with all car, and all manor of faults.

Like MIL coming on on the dash of cars. Happens on loads of cars daily, doesn't mean its an overly common thing though (y)

Just got back from Gonella Bros. Their examiner result was that there is a fault with the 'Steering torque position sensor' they have cleared and reset the steering. Does this mean a new motor, or is the sensor a separate component?

The reason I ask is that everyone I have spoken to assumes the Panda's steering system is the same as the Punto's, when even I know it's not. Apparently there are fewer separate eps components on the Punto's system.

Fang,
My resident mechanic here in Malaysia (who loves to disect Fiats and Alfa's to bits and chuck them together for more power - I think he watched one too many Home Improvement episodes of Tim Allen grunting away, etc) says it's a no go.

They are NOT compatible otherwise he would have sold me a Punto Steering Column, which he has in his workshop.

Fang,
My resident mechanic here in Malaysia (who loves to disect Fiats and Alfa's to bits and chuck them together for more power - I think he watched one too many Home Improvement episodes of Tim Allen grunting away, etc) says it's a no go.

They are NOT compatible otherwise he would have sold me a Punto Steering Column, which he has in his workshop.

Does he know whether the Panda has a separate sensor on the steering column? and is it replaceable?

Fang,
It's all completely different. :(

From my conversation with him, there are a lot of things the Panda doesn't share...

I got the same error. Just get your motor repaired and u will be a-ok.
Although I am from Singapore, I send the darn thing to BBA-REMAN in Rochester. It comes with a 2 years warranty.

My power steering work like a gem now.

Does he know whether the Panda has a separate sensor on the steering column? and is it replaceable?

Fang,
It's all completely different. :(

From my conversation with him, there are a lot of things the Panda doesn't share...

Yes. BBA Reman also have quite a good forum. I asked about the 'Steering Torque Sensor' (which came up on the examiner as faulty) and was told that it is part of the steering motor unit and not a separate component. At the moment it's working fine (Gonnella cleared and re-set the steering with the examiner) but when it goes again. I'll get the unit taken out and sent to BBA.

I own a 05 plate panda the gearbox had £1033 spent on it at 10,000 miles and now at 15,000 miles the gearbox clunks and clanks like a old ford. dosnt instill you with confidence in fiat.My car is five years old and covered very few miles .Fiat has nothing to say only take it to a dealer for diagnostics (which no doubt will cost me a fortune) cars of this milage should have no problems...

I have a 56gp sporting,Got exactly the same prob.When reversing on full lock the power steering cuts out.When i turn off the ignition and switch it back on it goes away.Had my battery tested(had a new one).Its been fine for a week, And today its done it again.I agree,Im going to call Fiat, As this seems a major problem on all their models,And could be dangerous.There was a recall on cars made up to a certain date in 06, As a friend of mine's got recalled.Mine is outside this date, But obviously they haven't sorted the problem.Im annoyed to say the least,My car has only done 18k and this is not the first thing to go wrong.:mad: i'd never buy a fiat again...

Well, sent the unit away to BBA and had it re-fitted last just before a week in Cornwall (780 miles). All ok, in fact the 'feel' of the steering seems to have improved. Total cost £295 as the dealer we bought it from agreed to install for free.

Look like I am in for a rough ride. I have a 2006 1.2 Panda bought new, It has started to send me a message that the steering needs attention.
Due for it's 2nd MOT I come back with how it gets on
Cheers johnny:cool:

Its not just the steering?

Look at my post 05 plate panda with 15,000 miles from new had a major gearbox problem at 10,000 (cost over a grand to repair) with so few miles on it and now at 15,000 from new the gearbox clunks and clangs like a old banger.really poor show ive had fiats for years.Fiat need to look at its customers problems and do something before people start buying other models/makes.I expect cars with 50/60,000 miles to have problems like these.Ive wrote to fiat and all they say is the car is out of its warrantee? what a joke fiat have become.

Good Luck Johnny mate.

Have you checked the battery though?
Hi MEP,
I've checked the battery it is showing green, in the observation hole.
Also checked all of the fuses's in the engine compartment, and next to the steering column. I removed the steering fuse, it steered OK, although a bit stiff.
Now replaced the fuse.Also disconnected the Battery, and re-connected it.
At one stage I went onto an open car park, Drove forward and in reverse on a full lock, this seemed to cure the message but a little later it came back.
Having a diagnosis test tomorrow,see what the brings.
Cheers
Johnny:cool:
Ps the car has not yet done 30,000

Last edited:
i was trying to point out that its not just expensive power steering that are failing on these cars (with very low milage) that costs the owners a fortune to repair.surely fiat should be more involved with these early failings on these pandas.?I mean major gearbox problems at 10,000 miles isnt fair really. neither are steering problems with very low milage...

Back