General Stebel Nautilus Two Tone Car Horn.

Currently reading:
General Stebel Nautilus Two Tone Car Horn.

I installed a brand new Stebel Nautilus horn to our Stilo in June last year. This morning some idiot in a Corsa pulls out on me like I wasn't there so I thought I'll give him a blast of the Stebel to make sure all his mates on the pub car park know how crap his driving is.

FAIL. :(

Not even a whimpy "beep" came out of it.

I have a dead Stebel. :cry:

Check for disconnected terminals or corrosion. If, like me, you've mounted it where the old horn was, it is in the direct line of a lot of road spray. I've wrapped both connectors and the wiring in a poly bag on mine, to keep it dry...

FAIL. :(

Not even a whimpy "beep" came out of it.

I have a dead Stebel. :cry:

Mine died too during a winter a couple of years ago. Just a strangled little noise, and also dimmed the headlights when I pushed the horn (steering wheel). It came to life again when + degrees outside. So the Stebel worked during summer, but not in frost. Strange. I threw it away and installed another (can't remember which brand) dual horn. Made my own fittings for both horns behind the bumper, under the right headlight. There the sound reverbs with the "bumper room" in there. (y) Incredibly much better than the Stebel Nautilus - which was much better than the OEM horn. Now it's more like a truck...

Did you fit the relay or did you fit it without the relay? Fitting it without the relay will blow your fuse, melt your wires and set fire to your car at worst. The amount of peps who fit them without the relay is staggering. Mines fitted to my Honda Transalp to stop motorists pulling out in front of me / 'wake up your about to be overtaken'. Never failed me yet worth every penny!

Did you fit the relay or did you fit it without the relay? Fitting it without the relay will blow your fuse, melt your wires and set fire to your car at worst. The amount of peps who fit them without the relay is staggering. Mines fitted to my Honda Transalp to stop motorists pulling out in front of me / 'wake up your about to be overtaken'. Never failed me yet worth every penny!

I never fit the relay. It's just a horn, not 200 watts of extra lights. Cables and fuse is still ok. It's the horn that died. When it works in summer but not in winter, I doubt it has anything to do with the relay. I just switched the wires back to the OEM horn while the Stebel didn't work. New horns are also fitted without the relay.

Hey Phil, you were right, the problem was caused by corrosion. A spade connector had corroded slightly and fell off, then some how managed to short out and blow the fuse(F10). Replaced both spade connectors, replaced the fuse and the horn worked again but sounded a bit "weak" like it was struggling. Took the horn off, gave it a clean and a blast of WD40. Connected it up to a spare battery I have in the garage, seemed to struggle at first but then sprang into life scaring the crap out of me, the dog and rabbits.

Put it back on the car, all is good now.

Edit.
Forgot to mention that the horn is already controlled via a relay.

Last edited:
Same happened with mine, replacement seems to be holding up though. Mounted it slightly differently so hopefully corrosion will hold off for a while.

The Nautilus is supposed to be really good, but they are hard to find recently - eBay has none of the Compact ones available from UK sellers.

The Nautilus is supposed to be really good, but they are hard to find recently - eBay has none of the Compact ones available from UK sellers.

These are good, compact and loud too, seen them used on lorries.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stebel-Ca...c-van-bus-universal-fit-bp3-12v-/180808214662

Sounds like this ...

This is mine ...
[ame="http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm189/Shadeyman67/?action=view&current=05072011076.mp4"]05072011076.mp4 video by Shadeyman67 - Photobucket@@AMEPARAM@@http://vid296.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid296.photobucket.com/albums/mm189/Shadeyman67/05072011076.mp4@@AMEPARAM@@vid296@@AMEPARAM@@296@@AMEPARAM@@mm189/Shadeyman67/05072011076@@AMEPARAM@@mp4[/ame]

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back