Technical starting

Currently reading:
Technical starting

webbo67

hi, could someone please give me some advice, im thinking of getting a 2001 doblo its a 1.9jtd ,it has an intermittent starting problem ,its reading fuel pump relay fault, so would it be just the relay or possibly the pump ,if its the pump are they easy to fit ?

Sounds like it is just a relay, from what you say, never fitted a fuel pump but doblos are quite easy to work on, you often have to remove things to get to the bit you want, but once you get to know your way around the car it starts to make sense.
I have not yet been able to download the manual and Haynes don't make one.
If you can ...download the manual and have a look at the fuel pump.

thanks ,ive read that the timing belt has to come off to fit one, so it may be a case of fitting a new timing belt at the same time but, if i get it ill try the relay first,
thanks for the reply

Wrong fuel pump!

There is the injector pump which runs from the cam belt and pumps high pressure diesel into the common fuel rail, thats the one your thinking of...not that!

There is the fuel pump in the fuel tank which is electric and pumps fuel from the tank via the filter to the injector pump, the relay is a switching device in which a small current from ( I guess ) the ignition, switches a heavy current from the battery via a fuse through the fuel pump motor.

It is probably the relay, you can get one from the scrap yard from most fiats for £1.

Easy peasy, find the relay and pull it off with your fingers, no tools needed, reverse process to replace.

thanks so much, is the relay in the engine bay fuse buse on this model, as some people have told me that the only relay/ fuse for the pump is in the cabin fuse box

I don't know which relay it is, I have not been able to download the manual...Haynes don't make one.
If you can download the manual it should say which relay it is, other than that try swapping them around, the black ones in the engine bay are all the same and can be swapped around, I have swapped mine around to look for faults no probs.
I will have a look at the ones in the cabin when I go to the car later.

Hi. Not sure if this helps you or not, but the wiring loom from the rear of my 06 doblo, which includes wiring to the fuel tank sender, terminates at the cabin fuse box. If that's also the case for the older Doblo, it stands to reason that the relay would be located there. That would be my guess anyway.

Good luck.

Back