Technical Starting up delays...

Currently reading:
Technical Starting up delays...

Richo8809

I went to start my T-jet (59) last thursday after not driving it for 4 days and as I turned the key the ignition came on but not the engine, then about 2 seconds later the engine cut in really loud. I went on a long run and parked it for a few hours and then started it up again and it was fine. I went to start it earlier and had the same delaywhen I turned the key.

Either I am not starting it up regularly enough or there is a problem starting lol! Any ideas? Has anyone had the same problem?

Thanks

Do you mean it took two seconds of turning the engine over with the starter motor before it fired or was there a delay of two seconds after you twisted the key before the starter motor begun to turn the engine over?

I think I've mentioned this before on the forum, but my old car (not a fiat) used to do this on every start.
During it's MOT a mechanic told me the starter motor was a bit 'slow', it took a while to actually engage. Either something's wrong with it or it's just a bit stuffed up, corrosion, rust etc.

Since yours should be under warranty, just take it to Fiat and tell them. Let us know how it goes!

Do you mean it took two seconds of turning the engine over with the starter motor before it fired or was there a delay of two seconds after you twisted the key before the starter motor begun to turn the engine over?

It has not done this now for weeks which is odd. Must just be one of them things that occasionally happens. I would turn the key the ignition would be on and it would make the usual ticking sound and then no engine....then 2 or so seconds later the engine would rev up really loud. Seems fine now though...

Back