General Starting issue - help please!

Currently reading:
General Starting issue - help please!

jrammy91

Car is Fiat Grande Punto 1.2 06. (Think it's the 68HP one if specific is needed) 95k miles.

So yesterday drove the car home, and the amber EML light came on. Car felt the same as normal, so figured I would get it checked out at the weekend. Perhaps coincidentally, it was the first time I had used the onboard computer (the dash menu that includes speed limit, clock, etc.)

Went to start the car this morning and would not start. EML light on, combined with red oil and battery lights. The car cranked okay, and I can't remember if it idled - the fact the oil and battery lights came on says to me it probably didn't.

That said I tried to put it in gear and move off and nothing happened, so perhaps it did start and just didn't move. Let's assume it didn't get past the cranking - any suggestions on what to investigate first or any likely causes?

Clutch is on it's last legs, but wasn't causing any issues yesterday - no slipping or vibration. Engine runs quite loudly, I'm fairly sure there's a hole in the exhaust system somewhere (potentially manifold?) - could this cause a non-start issue + EML light? It was quite damp this morning, could it just be case of weather change?

Thanks in advance!

J

Also - I have some tools, Multimeter, sockets, etc. and happy to get practical!

Have ordered OBR reader for delivery later to see if I can get any info on the EML light.

Getting the codes read is priority number one, MultiECUScan is the only software currently capable of doing everything, though it's not cheap and does require a windows laptop and appropriate cables. You might get lucky with whatever code reader you've bought and be able to see what codes have been generated, but you won't be able to reset them.
If I had to take a guess, I'd say one of the earth straps has either come loose or degraded as this is quite a common issue in the GP and can cause a plethora of unusual issues. I'm not 100% certain where they all are though, so I'll leave that to someone else to identify.

UPDATE

Got Code PO115 - Engine Coolant Circuit Malfunction

From my research, that means it is likely to be one of the following:

- Bad MAP sensor
- Bad Wiring to MAP sensor
- Bad Earth

Is there anything else I should be looking out for? Will get out the multimeter tonight, and start testing wiring & sensor.

Forgot to put in original post, that the radiator has suddenly started coming on and staying on for a minute after the engine is switched off. It had never done this previously, all seems to be interconnected, but do you think that makes it more likely to be a bad sensor rather than bad wiring, or does it not reveal anything further?

One other thing, I am a novice about, is I ran the diagnostics. Freeze frame showed Engine Coolant Temp and Intake Air Temp at 43c. Real time showed Coolant at 4c (more similar to outside temperature this morn.) Does that reveal anything? EDIT: The diagnostics were ran with ignition turned on but engine not running - won't start in the cold.

Thanks! (Sorry if questions stupid - a bit of a novice!)

J

Last edited:
Engine's Electronic Control Unit deeply relyes on numerous sensors to compute the best instantaneous air/fuel ratio to comply with Euro Norms, as a result whenever a sensor (or its wiring/connection) get faulty the ratio might get bad and the engine won't start … e.g. in cold weather, the ECU have to inject more petrol to compensate from poor vapouring and deposit on cold manyfold and cylinder Walls, if that enrichment is not done because the ECU is fooled with actual temperature, the engine might not start !

Checking the accuracy of temp sensors (both air and coolant) with MES in realtime recording will tell if all is ok on this side ...

BRs, Bernie

If someone here helped You fix -or better, understand- your issue, hit the thanks icon @ bottom right corner, it's free and makes us feel helpy ;-)

Last edited:
Back