Starting, clutch related...

Currently reading:
Starting, clutch related...

arseofbox

Principality Retained :)
'Lo.

Ive just swapped the gearbox in the Cinq to a Punto one. I didnt faff with the clutch at all (apart from changing the release bearing), and now It wont start with the clutch up.

Clutch down is a different story...its fine. It would appear that the clutch or gearbox isnt doing something fully (possibly engaging drive?). I can live with sitting in traffic with the clutch down to make the noise go away (that makes me think its gearbox related more than anything - and that'll eventually eat itself ;)) ...but other than adjusting the clutch cable has anyone got any suggestions to try and figure it out?

Its not coming off again, so dont try that!!

Why did u change the gearbox(Cinq) for a bigger one (Punt)?
Well to have made things easier i would have left the punt clutch attached to the new gearbox.The punto will have i slightly longer gear ratios to cope with more power and made it driveable.

Well ive had a chat to a bloke i know and he sez it sounds like it might be not be fully disengaging which could be down to the gearbox being for a different sized engine or simply the cinq clutch just aint up to the job.Hard to tell without seening it he sez.
hope that helps:confused:

styles said:
Why did u change the gearbox(Cinq) for a bigger one (Punt)?
Cinqy one was leaking as it'd blown a sealed section. The gearboxes are actually identical throughout apart from ratios and maybe clutch arm, so theres no difference in the power it can handle. The Cinqy has the 1242 8v Engine anyway, and that gearbox was originally off one
styles said:
Well to have made things easier i would have left the punt clutch attached to the new gearbox.The punto will have i slightly longer gear ratios to cope with more power and made it driveable.
Hmm...perhaps, but that would have meant finding a punto cable, and theres no gurantee that that would have worked with the Cinq's rather poor setup. It wouldnt have affected the overall power output - just the driveability, and as the Cinq is lighter, it makes it accelerate different to the Punto.
styles said:
Well ive had a chat to a bloke i know and he sez it sounds like it might be not be fully disengaging which could be down to the gearbox being for a different sized engine or simply the cinq clutch just aint up to the job.
I second the not fully disengaging idea personally..and I attribute it to (if anything) the clutch arm...as I think theres a length difference which means I could be messing up the way the system works... Its running the right clutch for that engine, but the std Cinq clutch wont slip on a LP Turbo setup (at least from what Ive heard)..and that runs more than 15BHp more than Im putting through it atm (Its rated Fine!! :))...

But I have spoken to a mechanic earlier and he reckons it might just be due to it having not been used for a while - which again, isnt that far out of the question!

Sorry meant to put bigger setup cinq-punt.
I didnt say anything about the total output,just it might be alittle slower or longer in the revs.
Manufacturers always allow a certain amount of hp more with clutchs etc though it might handle it just will wear out a little quicker.
Hmmmm not used for a while?sounds like that being more of a outside chance,first guess would be to change setup of the cable/clutch arm.ans take it from there.

Back