Technical Starter Solenoid Removal

Currently reading:
Technical Starter Solenoid Removal

Vintageant

1972 Fiat 124S. How to remove the starter solenoid from the starter motor housing? Undoing the 3 small bolts, my starter solenoid came out easily enough, but leaving the plunger in place. How is this plunger removed from the starter motor housing? The barb at the tip of the plunger suggests it is somehow locked in place. I have not yet tried brute force. Guidance please!

Attachments

• Starter motor solenoid.jpg
    Starter motor solenoid.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 26
While I've stripped 124 starter motors completely for inspection, I don't think I've ever removed only the solenoid with the remainder of the starter intact.

However, iirc, to remove the solenoid plunger, requires manually pushing the starter pinion fully forward i.e. to what would be it's engaged position when starter motor is operated - this causes the top of the lever that connects the solenoid plunger to the starter pinion to move rearwards, which should allow the plunger to be released from the fork on the end of the lever.

If this ^^ doesn't work, you might have to remove the pivot pin from the operating lever to allow more movement.

If this ^^ doesn't work, you'll probably have to release the front housing from the starter motor (2 long through-bolts that go through the rear housing), and if you do have to do it this way, note carefully where/how item 9 (rubber lever buffer) fits, then fit the solenoid assembly to the front housing before refitting the front housing.

To identify the parts mentioned above :- See 1st image below, Item 7 is the starter pinion; Item 8 is the operating lever; Item 10 is the front housing.

Scan_20240430.png

Red arrow is pointing at how the solenoid plunger is attached to the operating lever - with the pinion manually pushed forward (i.e. to the left in image) upper end of operating lever moves rearwards (i.e. to the right in image) which exposes the open end of lever fork and should allow the solenoid plunger to be released (might need a bit of wriggling, iirc, the spring on the solenoid plunger hinders things a little).
Scan_20240430 (3).png

Attachments

• Scan_20240430 (3).png
    Scan_20240430 (3).png
    15.5 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Excellent, detailed response, thank you! Will give it a try tomorrow and report back!

While I've stripped 124 starter motors completely for inspection, I don't think I've ever removed only the solenoid with the remainder of the starter intact.

However, iirc, to remove the solenoid plunger, requires manually pushing the starter pinion fully forward i.e. to what would be it's engaged position when starter motor is operated - this causes the top of the lever that connects the solenoid plunger to the starter pinion to move rearwards, which should allow the plunger to be released from the fork on the end of the lever.

If this ^^ doesn't work, you might have to remove the pivot pin from the operating lever to allow more movement.

If this ^^ doesn't work, you'll probably have to release the front housing from the starter motor (2 long through-bolts that go through the rear housing), and if you do have to do it this way, note carefully where/how item 9 (rubber lever buffer) fits, then fit the solenoid assembly to the front housing before refitting the front housing.

To identify the parts mentioned above :- See 1st image below, Item 7 is the starter pinion; Item 8 is the operating lever; Item 10 is the front housing.

View attachment 444147

Red arrow is pointing at how the solenoid plunger is attached to the operating lever - with the pinion manually pushed forward (i.e. to the left in image) upper end of operating lever moves rearwards (i.e. to the right in image) which exposes the open end of lever fork and should allow the solenoid plunger to be released (might need a bit of wriggling, iirc, the spring on the solenoid plunger hinders things a little).
View attachment 444149

Thanks again! Tried your first suggestion, without success. After much pushing, wiggling and pulling, I gripped the plunger firmly with vice-grips and gave it a good clout outwards with a hammer, and out it came!

Attachments

• Starter solenoid plunger removal.jpg
    Starter solenoid plunger removal.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 11
Back