Technical Starter not engaging

Currently reading:
Technical Starter not engaging

Fuse

I had a quick search but couldn't find a similar problem.

The other half's 500L starter motor spins on the key but every now and then doesn't engage. Stop/start is off and the spin isn't lazy. It had a new battery recently as the old one died in the cold snap earlier in the year.

I'm used to the old bendix throw in starters and just want to know if this is the same on the 500L and how easy is it to remove the starter motor.

Any guidance/hints appreciated

John

(Currently a Tipo owner and previously 3 Stilos so fully appreciate Fiat foibles!!)

I had a quick search but couldn't find a similar problem.

The other half's 500L starter motor spins on the key but every now and then doesn't engage. Stop/start is off and the spin isn't lazy. It had a new battery recently as the old one died in the cold snap earlier in the year.

I'm used to the old bendix throw in starters and just want to know if this is the same on the 500L and how easy is it to remove the starter motor.

Any guidance/hints appreciated

John

(Currently a Tipo owner and previously 3 Stilos so fully appreciate Fiat foibles!!)
Not specific 500l advice, just general.
When starter "spins on key" I assume you mean the starter it's self is turning but not engaging with flywheel?
Modern starters, unlike the Bendix types we used to work on in the past are known as "pre engaged " starters, the solenoid is mounted on the starter and when activated pulls the gear/pinion into mesh in the flywheel and it's final act is to make the motor contact allowing the starter it's self to spin.
Whereas in the old days the action of the starter turning spun the gear into mesh on the flywheel, it was effective but did result in excessive wear on the pinion but also on two areas on the flywheel which is where engines tend to stop. Hence if one grinded but didn't mesh sometimes you could turn the engine by the fan belt etc. or rocking in gear and the starter would work on an unworn part of the flywheel teeth.
Years ago I have fitted loads of ring gears to flywheels before pre engaged starters took over.
In your case if starter is turning, then taking it out and freeing off /oiling slightly may help assuming the teeth are not damaged.
Another cause if no obvious damage but accompanied by an awful screeching it can be the "sprag clutch" part of the starter pinion shot, if so it is usually easier to fit a new starter although I have replaced the part in the past where available.

Starter was behaving itself but has recently repeated its previous spin/not engaging so I have got a new starter. Having taken the undertray off (only sheared off one bolt!!) and located the starter I've got 2 bolts out but I can't figure out how to get the third one out. Looking at the various videos off starter changes they show a grommet being removed giving access to a bolt mine is a multi air and I can't see this.

Am I missing something or do I just need to give it a harder thump to release it?

Any guidance or direction to further info greatly appreciated.

John.

Starter was behaving itself but has recently repeated its previous spin/not engaging so I have got a new starter. Having taken the undertray off (only sheared off one bolt!!) and located the starter I've got 2 bolts out but I can't figure out how to get the third one out. Looking at the various videos off starter changes they show a grommet being removed giving access to a bolt mine is a multi air and I can't see this.

Am I missing something or do I just need to give it a harder thump to release it?

Any guidance or direction to further info greatly appreciated.

John.
Does this sound like yours?

In the video it mentions after removing battery and ECU etc. there is a rubber grommet hiding the last bolt as OP mentions , so may help. personally I have never changed one on that model.:)

After some grub and a cup of tea I went back out and had another rummage. I took the battery out to get a better view (on the 500X 1.4 MultiAir the battery is 90 degrees to those shown in the videos and no battery tray to remove) and lo and behold there is the 3rd bolt head tucked up the end easily accessible with an extension and a wobble socket. Bolt undone and starter is out. The only problem is that the old starter solenoid activation is different to the replacement. The solenoids have different internal slug diameters so I can't do a simple swap. Thankfully I have waterproof connectors in the shed and it won't be a problem.

Early start tomorrow otherwise the other half won't be able to go shopping!!

John.

Well that's that done - up and running and the other half happy.

Things learnt:

The original starter motor uses the main battery feed fixing as a way of terminating the solenoid activating wire as part of a plastic moulding over the stud. The replacement starter - not oem but from LCP - was configured differently. As mentioned previously I adapted the wiring with an additional plug so it works. Done properly - no scotchblocks, terminal strips or wound together wires and electrical tape used.

The job is doable on the drive with one side up on an axle stand. It's a bit awkward but once the bolts are out the motor comes out easy enough. The tricky bit is attaching the main power feed as you have to do it by feel.

The battery tray does not have to be removed just the battery. The ECU is mounted under the scuttle unlike other 500s. There are no sides to the battery box as the battery has a padded jacket around it which comes out with the battery.

Fiat undertrays are a pain in the proverbial!! As a previous 4 times Stilo nad current Tipo owner I have form!!

The third fixing bolt is easy enough to get to with a UJ socket attachment or a wobble socket. Hopefully the picture gives an indication of its location.

500x.JPG

Back