Technical Starter motor relay?

Currently reading:
Technical Starter motor relay?

Twinturborob

I am having trouble with our 2006 1.3 Multi.

When hot it wont start, not even a click of the solenoid. After a while the solenoid will click but it wont turn over. after a while longer it will try, after a while longer it will start fine.

I bought another new starter to put it on but am seriously confused by the lack of a solenoid wire???

How on earth do you energise the solenoid?

Is there some big relay hiding somewhere? I have search the internet for a description of the starting circuit but it seems to be a mystery.

Any help?

Cheers

Rob

All will become clear when you swap it over(there is a little solenoid wire)

Be very very careful not to lose any of the plastic covers/ spacers etc or get them mixed up when you disconnect the wiring from existing starter.
Put it back together exactly as it was.

(-:

I am having trouble with our 2006 1.3 Multi.

When hot it wont start, not even a click of the solenoid. After a while the solenoid will click but it wont turn over. after a while longer it will try, after a while longer it will start fine.

I bought another new starter to put it on but am seriously confused by the lack of a solenoid wire???

How on earth do you energise the solenoid?

Is there some big relay hiding somewhere? I have search the internet for a description of the starting circuit but it seems to be a mystery.

Any help?

Cheers

Rob

Hi

Worth cleaning up the braided cable on the starter..

This is what caused similar on my Grande 1248.. I just udid the M8 nut..turned the brass tab around to scrape it clean.. and retightened.. instant success

Car had been 'dead' for months.. but demonstrated what you have seen for the last summer

I have replaced countless starters, the issue is that the supposedly correct replacement has just the main power terminal. There is no solenoid connection.

That's correct, no separate terminal for the solenoid.
It uses a large round terminal and special spring washer, together with the plastic moulding under the screw terminal. It's hard to describe, but if you take the old one off making note of how it was put together, it does make sense (in a strange Fiat-ish kind of way)

Yep all makes sense now.. Taken off the wires and given a quick rub with wire wool see if that solves my issue.

If not I will try a jump lead to earth the block.

If not then will have to try a +ve feed from the battery.

Cheers

Back