Stalling when accelerating!

Currently reading:
Stalling when accelerating!

Henkep

Hello!

I have a fiat punto 60 1.2 from 2000 which i'm recently began to have some poblems with.

To start with it has had a slow throttle response since a couple of months back especially in first and second gear at low speeds.

Last week the problem went to an other level...
The idle began to run very rough and the throttle respons were even worse and it often ends up stalling.
With every gear change the throttle respons is almost non-existing for about 3 seconds and then it becomes good again.
and also when standing still in idle and starts to acceleate, the engine will slowly stall. :bang:

To me this sounds as a fuel filter problem but from what i have understood this car dosen't have a replaceable fuel filter?
It should be built in to the pump and should not need replacement.
Am I correct? Should I replace the whole pump?

What i have done so far is to changed the plugs, checked the wires and the coil pack and cleaned the throttle body.

any suggestions on how to proceed?
Please help me out!

Henrik

If you have the EML on, code read is the obvious/fastest/cheapest way to go. If your Punto is MPI (4 injectors) any OBD 2 code reader will do the job.

If your can is SPI (one injector) it does have a fuel filter -- generally they're mounted in front of the rear wheel. But 2000 is late for an SPI car.

If no EML, my best guess (nothing more) would be crank sensor.

But best posted in the Punto section.

Crank sensors do some of those things. Most of the time dont even start the car.
If the car has a fuel filter go for it.

Thanks for the replies!

I have just finished checking the crank sensor.
and it seems ok to me.
I checked the its resistance while i heated it up with a lighte.
The reaing began at 630 Ohm's at 20 degress and ended up somewhere at 800 Ohm's when it was burning hot.
Is the findings good an is this test extensive enough?

I have also found out that my car is not equipped with a fuel filter so i guess that's out of the picture...

I was thinking that it might be the idel control valve or the MAP sensor.
Do you think any of these ae possible candidates?

I will also look up the timing belt to make sue that it's teeth are ok.

Back