SSD woes

Currently reading:
SSD woes

psychofox

Legend
Turned the PC on last night, Windows 7 wouldn't load. It tried to repair the installation, that failed too. it then cycled between the 'windows cant load' and the "Windows cannot repair" screens. I tried the repair option on the Win 7 disc. it couldn't recognise that it was trying to repair the same OS, and when it eventually did, it failed that too.
I thought, screw this I will just re-install. I chose the 'reinstall' option, waited not so patiently...and then it crashed. This time it blamed a hardware error. But didnt tell me which piece. It got as far as the last step (validation of file I think).

I haven't lost much, as the only thing on the SSD was the OS and some programs that has to default to the C drive. Data is kept on a different drive.

Am I correct in thinking the SSD has broken? It is an OCZ Agility 3. Its the second one I've had RMA returned and replaced )as the first also failed on me after about 6 months after purchase. Which is about how long this one is in use now I come to think about it...:bang:

Last edited:
I'm over 2 years on my Agility 3's! I'd be nervous but I don't give a **** about the DATA on them all steam games I can download again in 2 hours on my connection.

And yes those SSHDs are a nice compromise. I've got a customer using them in high end CAD machines. More than 45 workstations not a single failure yet after 6 months.

Sorry to say though their performance (unless your computer use is predictable) is no where near a true SSD. The firmware intelligently keeps frequently used data in the high speed part of the drive. Think of it as a normal hard disk drive with A huuge cache.

Last edited:
I've had both a Crucial and an Intel SSD fail on me despite their claims of being more reliable. SSDs are pretty reliable overall but the problem is that unlike many HDD failures, SSDs don't tend to give much warning with poor performance or unusual noises.

Don't send back a drive without running a secure erase first, at least if you could have anything sensitive on it in an unencrypted format.

Back