General Speedo

Currently reading:
General Speedo

Mine was UK supplied by Fiat in 2003. It certainly records both speed (in mph) and mileage (in miles).

If you find a car with mph and kms distance, it probably has a sticker overlaying the kph dial, and was not originally supplied by Fiat into the UK.

I stand corrected, approximately 1200 cars were sold in the UK with Both speed and distance counters in MPH. Mine is originally German (1997) imported 2 years latter. It doesn't have a sticker it has a duel kilometre and mileage face with the counter counting in kilometres that seems Fiat made. I have taken it apart in the past to fix the counter so had a good look at it.

That's interesting Brian, how do you know these things?!

..mines a 99, imported shortly after, I'm assuming from Germany. All seems full UK spec, looking at my Speedo and the owners manual it clearly says mph but doesn't say miles (or km) anywhere in the dial but the manual says it's mileometer (there isn't really space due to the dual km/h marking). The full km/h dials clearly show km too by the odometer. I've always assumed mine was miles and I did check once that the ECU distance travelled (km) agreed approximately with the equivalent miles shown, and it did. I've never actually checked a distance though, too busy enjoying myself..... next time I'm out....

All the best

Mike

Found the 1200 number on this site buried amongst all the other Speedo related items. I know that mine as a duel speedo face and the counter did count in Kilometres. Unfortunately I cant check or enjoy my barchetta as I'm stuck In Warsaw while the b is back in the UK.

Here's my speedo story.......

When I test drove my car at DTR ,it had 128000 KMs on it.
Rev counter wasn't working , so they replaced the whole instrument pod ,giving me a 7000 KM haircut to 121000KMs .
Then noticed when driving from cold the speedo needle didn't register for a few minutes ,they tried a solder repair but ended up replacing the whole pod again ,
leaving me with 62000 miles showing.

I can't remember whether the speed was in KMs or miles for either of the replaced units .

This set of instruments has been fine for 7 years now ,although the fuel needle
needs a wake up thump to the top of the dash sometimes.

Now showing 134000 miles but total going from the above is more like 154000 miles .

:yum:

So it's not just my car that suffers from SDS (Sleepy Dial Syndrome). Thumping the dash doesn't work but the fuel gauge usually wakes up by itself after a few miles (and I am getting used to resetting the trip counter at each fill up).

Various guage problems slowly drove me bonkers, after hitting it, stripping it, soldering it, cleaning it, screaming at it etc, I bought a replacement from Henk, slotted in, worked perfectly from day one, happy days

Back